Should the breeder offer me a refund?

(57 Posts)
Orcagirl Tue 29-Oct-19 19:55:03

My puppy is 10 months old.

I went through the bleed club and was on a waiting list with a reputable breeder for 1 year before I took her home.

Long story short, she saw a specialist on Friday who confirned she had grade 3 patella luxation in both legs and will likely need surgery. She can't go on walks of any length at present, has been referred for hydro therapy and physio therapy, has arthritis already and is on joint supplements for the rest of her life. He confirmed it is a genetic condition. Both her parents went under extensive health tests and the breeder said she does not understand where it has come from.

It's a really stressful situation and my heart is breaking. Plus the costs are adding up. Someone has mentioned that the breeder should offer the purchase price back. When I have checked out the kennel club they also say this on the website if the puppy falls ill with a genetic condition.

What do i do? She cost a lot of money and the money I paid for would be invaluable right now, for her treatment. She is insured, thank goodness, but I have had the excess to pay plus 10% of the claim and her surgery will go into the thousands. Plus hydro and physio on top of that sad

Please be gentle on me, I'm upset and stressed about it all.

OP’s posts: |
Orcagirl Tue 29-Oct-19 19:56:29

Forgot to add- I've been in close contact with the breeder but she has not made an offer of any refund so it would be an awkward conversation to have.

OP’s posts: |
Anotherlongdrive Tue 29-Oct-19 20:00:10

Is it something they could have possibly known or predicted?

Should it have been picked up when the puppy was checked by a vet?

BiteyShark Tue 29-Oct-19 20:00:36

I wouldn't have expected any money off my breeder in those circumstances. If my vet had found a condition within the first week I could have got a refund but not after 10 months.

I do understand how upsetting it is. My dog has a chronic stomach condition which was diagnosed when he was a young dog but it would have never crossed my mind to try and get money back as that's what insurance is for.

Orcagirl Tue 29-Oct-19 20:01:56

Even if its a genetic condition?

Anotherlongdrive it is something that presents itself at around 6 months.

OP’s posts: |
DameFanny Tue 29-Oct-19 20:04:44

I'd be insisting on a refund - not least because I'd hope the breeder reconsidered how they're making money.

Anotherlongdrive Tue 29-Oct-19 20:05:04

Have you got the link to the kennel club where it says they should refund you?

A puppy is a living animal, as such, not everything cab be predicted.

If the breeder has done everything they can, I am not sure how they could be held responsible.

Advertisement

IgnoranceIsStrength Tue 29-Oct-19 20:06:23

Is it a genetic condition commonly found in that breed? If so I would say that you should get a refund as they should know the history of breeding animals parents.

BiteyShark Tue 29-Oct-19 20:06:47

If the genetic condition is one that can be tested for then I would have bought a puppy from parents that were tested. If it's something that can happen but you can't test for then again that's why you get insurance unless you can cover the costs.

I can't see anything obvious on the KC website about refund for situations like this. Can you post a link?

What does your contract say that you signed?

Orcagirl Tue 29-Oct-19 20:07:28

www.dogbreedhealth.com/what-to-do-if-your-dog-is-suffering-from-genetic-disease/

OP’s posts: |
Orcagirl Tue 29-Oct-19 20:08:13

Sorry for some reason I thought it was kennel club.

OP’s posts: |
Orcagirl Tue 29-Oct-19 20:09:08

I think it's relatively rare in this breed 😞

OP’s posts: |
Loveislandaddict Tue 29-Oct-19 20:09:45

If the breeder had no knowledge of the condition in his dogs, and your dog was a random, odd case, then you shouldn’t get a refund.

Anotherlongdrive Tue 29-Oct-19 20:11:27

I would follow the advice on there that link then.

To me, its not something they could possibly know and they did everything they can. But that is just my opinion.

heatingsoup Tue 29-Oct-19 20:12:55

I would inform the breeder so they can cease that line but I wouldn't expect a refund.

What breed is it out of interest?

Anotherlongdrive Tue 29-Oct-19 20:13:34

Also the advice to include the kennel club will be just so the kennel club can look into it, verify the breeder did everything possible and isnt breeding dogs that are known to have this condition. Maybe even contact previous people who have bought a puppy.

I don't think that link is very definitive.

You are buy an animal. They can mitigate risks, but somethings will happen.

BiteyShark Tue 29-Oct-19 20:13:58

By all means ask for a refund or try and take your case to a small claims court. But if it was me I would just put it down to bad luck.

GrowThroughWhatYouGoThrough Tue 29-Oct-19 20:14:35

Can I ask what breed of dog it is?

Orcagirl Tue 29-Oct-19 20:16:49

I am putting it down to bad luck biteyshark, I could just put the money to use right now as it will still cost me a lot, even though she's insured.

Hypothetically I could be a total b*stard and give her back to the breeder who would then have to fork out thousands for her repair surgery. But I won't do thag because I love her.

OP’s posts: |
Orcagirl Tue 29-Oct-19 20:17:10

I can't say as I don't want to out myself.

OP’s posts: |
penisbeakers Tue 29-Oct-19 20:19:09

Wow.

BiteyShark Tue 29-Oct-19 20:23:46

Did you sign a contract with the breeder? If you did does it say anything on there about returning the puppy or any refunds?

It doesn't really matter what we think as it only matters if you have a contract, or if the breeders offers a refund, or if you try and take legal action and you are successful.

Orcagirl Tue 29-Oct-19 20:26:41

What are you wowing at?

OP’s posts: |
Orcagirl Tue 29-Oct-19 20:27:58

I signed a contract but that was to say I wouldn't breed from her, sell her and if I didn't want her anymore I would have to give her back to the breeder.

OP’s posts: |
carly2803 Tue 29-Oct-19 20:28:13

its a living animal. things go wrong even genetic

if this happened in the first month or two id say yes, but on this occasion no.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in