Any dog groomers in the house?

(3 Posts)
missbattenburg Tue 29-Oct-19 11:15:28

I want to keep the fur on the side of my springer's mouth shorter than it is just to help keep his jowls clean as he gets a build up of saliva in his lip folds that can smell a bit sometimes.

He had an op to reduce them that helped but did not cure the issue.

Before I start I wondered what the best way to do this is.

Is it clippers? If so, he won't be keen but over time I think I can get him to accept it. I just didn't want to start doing that if there is some other, secret-of-the-trade way.

Anyone know?

OP’s posts: |
mumofthree321 Wed 06-Nov-19 21:01:29

I'd suggest taking the dog to a good grooming salon to have this done. It would be very easy to clip excess skin around this area or irritate the area by clipping or cutting too close, etc. If that's all you want doing I'd like to think a groomer would understand and charge you very little to do it. I'm a groomer and if someone came to ask me to help I'd gladly do it as I have the training, experience and correct equipment. Prob charge no more than £5-10 for only that to be done ... but at least you'd know it had been done well smile

Redpriestandmozart Wed 06-Nov-19 22:13:09

Oh, I know exactly where that is, as a retired groomer I can tell you that spaniels are really prone to this stink. It's right where the top canine teeth sit on the bottom, there is a fold of hair there that is putrid.

As mumofthree321 says a good groomer will clip that area out for you, if they don't find a different one. I can say, it gets worse as the dog gets older : ( If it continues it might be worth investing in a pair of decent clippers and a 10 blade. It will be easy to learn to clip this area out.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in