Breeder ghosting me?!

(6 Posts)
SpangledBoots Tue 22-Oct-19 20:55:10

I've been planning on getting a dog for over two years and seriously started contacting breeders back in May. I got recommendations and spoke to three. I was clear about my plans for caring for a puppy, demonstrated that I'd researched the breed and explained that I was hoping to have a puppy within 12-18 months (so, not a short term thing)

I really hit it off with one, met all their dogs and we agreed I'd go on their waiting list. They've added me on Facebook (where I don't post, mainly use for the breed groups!) and for a few months we had a bit of chat back and forth in comments and on messenger. I dropped them a message about a month ago and no response. I thought they must have forgotten to reply (that's fine!) but I tagged them in one FB comment and again, nothing. Ive dropped a friendly message today (hi, hope the gang is well, heard x on the radio today about breed) and again nothing. So I think I'm definitely being ignored. I can see their other activity in breed groups.

They've decided they don't want me to have one of their puppies for some reason...haven't they? I'm wracking my brains to figure out why! Im a bit gutted because she seemed like a great breeder.

OP’s posts: |
BillHadersNewWife Tue 22-Oct-19 21:16:00

Maybe they're ill? Or their circumstances have changed.

MarleyMooChick Wed 23-Oct-19 00:01:00

I've had this done to me as well. My attitude was if they were not replying to me then I wasn't interested either in them. Life is too short to wonder why. I went to discover dogs, Crufts, breed shows etc & met other breeders. I was on a waiting list for one, when another breeder I had spoken to contacted me as one of his puppies homes had fallen through. I wasn't on his waiting list, but liked the home we were offering & we ended up taking that puppy & haven't looked back.

MrsEricBana Fri 25-Oct-19 12:56:27

Do they just want you to get on and buy one rather than endless communications about the breed?

yodl Fri 25-Oct-19 14:00:44

I´ve had similar experience. Contacted the breeder, introduced myself and our family, talked about my experience in raising dogs. Visited the kennel, everything went very well.
We got a little further even, the breeder told us we´re on the list and are able to choose a puppy from their next litter. She promised to contact me and I thought that´s settled.
But she never did. About 6 months later I noticed in social media that they had puppies. I wrote a letter and reminded myself, but got nothing. Then again about 6 months later (they have a fairly big kennel, many bitches, many co-owned dogs, that´s why they have puppies so often) they had another litter. My friend got a puppy from this one. But they kept ignoring me.
I really liked this breeder at first. The home visit impressed me, although they had many dogs, every single one of them was well taken care of, everything was clean, dogs were all so well behaved.

I have no idea what the issue was. But I decided I can´t wait forever `cause the best time to take a puppy was quickly passing by. So I found another breeder. It was basically the same: we chatted, I visited, she put me on a list and promised to write when there are any puppy news. The huge difference was she actually did and now we have a 16 weeks old corgi cardigan at home.

SpangledBoots Sat 26-Oct-19 23:53:12

I'm ready for a puppy from their next litter - I just don't know when it's coming so will just see if she gets in touch.

I think in the meantime I need to suss out a few other breeders...

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in