CBT

(9 Posts)
rededucator Thu 17-Oct-19 13:37:10

Thank you for your help, to clarify it £250 for consultation plus 2 follow up sessions. The lady you mentioned is £450. Thanks again for taking the time, Fred for thought indeed. If you've an alternative suggestion of who to see I'd be happy to take it on board.

OP’s posts: |
missbattenburg Thu 17-Oct-19 13:33:16

I think I found the trainer you are looking at so my notes below are based on him...

I hold a A.Dip CBM. It was really interesting to do it, but I would in no way say it qualifies me to be a behaviourist. I am guessing he did it with Compass and so it's a distance, self-paced study. It's broad ranging in topics but has no practical component to it at all.

He won the Bark certificate of excellence but the link to it shows all but a few reviews were added on the same day. I am guessing they are comments made to him that he copied over or something like that? That's not to say they are made up or edited but would be something to keep in mind.

£250 per consultation is about right but you could find someone with much higher qualifications for that. In the midlands I could find someone with a Masters Degree in Animal Behaviour Management, having gone up to Bachelors Degree specifically with canine behaviour. They would charge about the same. That level of study is way, way beyond an Advanced Diploma.

I'd also go with APBC but admittedly these seem a bit scarce in Scotland (https://www.apbc.org.uk/need-help/) - though there is one that looks like they may cover the same area as this guy.

All that said, I've also known some people who are excellent with dog behaviour problems that don't hold degrees etc. so you can always ask if he does a free phone call to discuss your issue and his methods etc. Most behaviourists are happy to do that, with no obligation to go with them, because it's important you feel they are the right person to help you. You can then use that info to help you decide...

rededucator Thu 17-Oct-19 13:21:57

Thanks again, yes he's come up on the consultant search. I didn't know what accreditation's I was looking for initially. The consultations will be in my home and the 2 follow up sessions will be of my choosing (home, park etc)

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Thu 17-Oct-19 12:47:04

IAABC is a legit organisation, but they have different levels of membership - is he listed on their consultant search feature on the IAABC website?

ISAP - open to literally anyone for a modest fee

PPGuild - an American thing so seems odd for a UK based person to join. Not sure how legit it is to be honest.

What's your reasoning for choosing this one over someone APBC or CCAB accredited? I paid less than that to see my local APBC behaviourist and she came to me.

rededucator Thu 17-Oct-19 11:14:23

Avocadosbeforemortgages Do you recognise these? I'm very hopeful about it going forward

rededucator Wed 16-Oct-19 23:12:23

Completed the Advanced Diploma in Canine Behaviour Management(A.Dip CBM) And is currently working towards a Graduate Diploma in Animal Behaviour Management (G.Dip ABM).

rededucator Wed 16-Oct-19 23:10:01

That you for replying, he has IAABC, ISAP and PPGuild

Advertisement

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Wed 16-Oct-19 22:36:50

Which accreditations does he have to his name?

I'd be looking for someone who has APBC or CCAB accreditations.

rededucator Wed 16-Oct-19 21:34:14

My rescue dogs fear of sudden noise have turned into a phobia. He will no longer go on certain paths or walks due to previous bad noise experience there, worse, he has started to bolt back to the car and I am concerned he is going to cause or be part of an accident. I've been doing some research and been in touch with a dog CBT with lots of accreditations to his name. Has anyone had experience of CBT with dogs? His prices seem competitive, £250 for consultation and 2 follow up sessions which totals up to about 4 hours of his time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in