Miniature Schnauzer Puppy - tips welcome

(3 Posts)
Keepyourginup Sun 13-Oct-19 13:56:23

Hi. We will be getting our miniature schnauzer pup next month. He will be 10 weeks old. We will be completely off work/someone home 24/7 for a 5 full weeks (I work part time and will then have family help (Dad retiring in Jan and will be on hand), doggy day care etc so all thought through carefully.)
I know schnauzers can be stubborn (but also highly intelligent)....just looking for any schnauzer/puppy specific tips...anything I should definitely do from the start (have had dogs before but never had a puppy)
I've ordered a copy of puppy training books (David Mann one as recommended on MN, and a puppy training for kids for 11 year old). Just after any other tips/advice to ensure we are fully puppy/Schnauzer ready!! TIA

OP’s posts: |
adaline Sun 13-Oct-19 15:39:04

I don't have experience with Schnauzers but we have a notoriously stubborn breed (beagle) and my advice would be start as you mean to go on.

So if you want the dog to be in a separate room while you eat, start doing it right away. Same with allowing the dog upstairs/on the sofa/in your bed. If you don't mind it then it doesn't matter but if you hate the idea then you need to be strict or they'll take liberties grin

And I love schnauzers so please post photos! They're such cute little dogs with great personalities smile

Keepyourginup Sun 13-Oct-19 18:26:43

Great advice, thanks!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in