Two out of three of my dogs appear to have kennel cough after a week in kennels.

(26 Posts)
shitwithsugaron Sun 06-Oct-19 07:05:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OP’s posts: |
shitwithsugaron Sun 06-Oct-19 07:06:29

Maneandfeathers Sun 06-Oct-19 07:15:27

Fuming why though? It’s an airborne disease and almost impossible to control.
Presumably they have asked for vaccination records and have infection control protocol but failing that there isn’t much they can do. It’s always a risk when kennelling dogs even in the most clean of places. I work in a referral veterinary hospital and have had outbreaks despite all of our infection control practices, it happens.

Kennel cough while annoying is very rarely dangerous. Both of mine have had it multiplies times despite vaccination.

Now, if your annoyed that they didn’t seek veterinary attention for your dogs then that’s different however again, it rarely does need treatment so they probably presumed it would resolve on its own as it normally does.

GCAcademic Sun 06-Oct-19 07:19:08

Poor doggies. The vaccine does not cover every strain of kennel cough, I believe. I’m afraid it’s highly likely your springer will get it too, it’s extremely contagious. Definitely call the vets. Normally they don't treat kennel cough, but will for older or weaker dogs.

shitwithsugaron Sun 06-Oct-19 07:27:28

AdoreTheBeach Sun 06-Oct-19 07:29:15

As others have said above, the vaccine cannot give 100% protection as there are many strains (just like flu). This is not the kennels fault. You may wish to let them know so they can be in the look out for other dogs there and inform incoming dog owners - but this isn’t their fault. You know the kennel insisted on all vaccinations for the dogs so they do all that is possible to protect all the dogs in their care.

If you’re very worried about your westie, best to make an out of hours appointment or go to your local out if hours vets and get all three treated today. All three need to be treated to ensure they don’t just pass it around. Don’t take them out on walks as they’ll spread to other dogs

Veterinari Sun 06-Oct-19 07:34:04

Kennel cough is a self limiting illness and the vaccine only protects against some strains - there is debate over whether it’s actually worth vaccinating prior to going into kennels but most kennels insist on it from an insurance/liability point of view. Regardless, and environment where dogs are mixed in close quarters will likely result in disease transmission.

If they’re vaccinated they likely have a viral cough as the vaccine covers pathogenic bacteria so antibiotics won’t be useful. Anti inflammatories may help - if you go to the vets advise that you suspect KC as they’ll likely give you an appt at the end of the day and request that you edit in the car til your appt time to reduce transmission. It can take 4-8 weeks to completely recover from KC but it doesn’t Really cause any harm

Advertisement

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 06-Oct-19 07:38:36

Kennel cough is largely a viral disease made up of three principal pathogens two viruses and one bacteria the vaccine protects against one virus and one bacteria.
It can have an up to 21 day incubation period so whilst the dogs did probably catch it in kennels if they went in on 26/9 it is possible they caught it before going in, but they were probably not coughing in the kennels.
In generally fit healthy dogs do not need specific treatment as it is a viral infection so antibiotics are of no help. Sometimes if they are coughing badly an anti-inflammatory is given. Whilst they cough they are infectious to other dogs and some dogs can cough for up to 6 weeks.

shitwithsugaron Sun 06-Oct-19 07:41:59

Sowingbees Sun 06-Oct-19 07:46:37

Our kennels have stopped asking for kennel cough vaccine and since then outbreaks have dropped no scientific study but does make you wonder if it's all a vets scam.

Veterinari Sun 06-Oct-19 08:08:24

Our kennels have stopped asking for kennel cough vaccine and since then outbreaks have dropped no scientific study but does make you wonder if it's all a vets scam.

Dammit! We’ve been exposed! That’s right @Sowingbees cos I personally get 50 quid for every dog I vaccinate, though I have to give the Kennels a cut for insisting on requiring the vaccine so don’t get to keep it all. Nice little racket we have going though. I should be able to retire by the age of 70...

BiteyShark Sun 06-Oct-19 08:41:56

You can pick kennel cough up anywhere, the park, the vets, training, kennels etc.

As others have said having the vaccine does not mean they won't get it. They may avoid the strains contained in the vaccine or have less symptoms. Think of kennel cough like the flu and the vaccine the same. Kennels ask for vaccinations to minimise infection.

Treacletoots Sun 06-Oct-19 08:44:19

And this is why I won't use kennels. We home board our dogs and we've never once had an issue.

Sowingbees Sun 06-Oct-19 08:49:09

@Veterinari of course I don't think you are in cahoots with the kennels but any footfall into a practice is good news for the owner of the vets (very few privately-owned any more most owned by a management group) and for the pharmaceutical companies. Yearly vaccines are a good example of pharmaceutical companies increasing their profits and the vets being compliant.

Wolfiefan Sun 06-Oct-19 08:51:49

Kennel cough is misnamed. Dogs can pick it up anywhere. I’m not sure why you’re fuming. Your dogs may have not shown any symptoms whilst in kennels. And the reason they insist on vaccination? To try and prevent it in the kennels.

twoheaped Sun 06-Oct-19 08:59:41

It would be courteous to ring the kennels and let them know that 2 of your dogs are displaying symptoms.
They should then be able to take precautions to prevent spread.

As a kennel owner, we have never had kennel cough go through the kennels but a lot of the home boarders and dog walkers shut down last Christmas as it was doing the rounds.
Don't think dog boarders are immune to it, it could be argued that they are more likely to get it as the dogs are kept in such close quarters.

shitwithsugaron Sun 06-Oct-19 09:24:38

FunkySnidge Sun 06-Oct-19 09:32:52

Kennel cough is annoying but if your dogs are otherwise fit and healthy they will get over it easily enough.
The vaccine is a waste of money, the only time my dogs have got kennel cough is after having that vaccine! I stopped giving it and haven't had another incident of kc for 10 years.

missbattenburg Sun 06-Oct-19 09:52:47

but does make you wonder if it's all a vets scam.

I would start to think about a different link myself. The link between the constant accusations of greed by pet owners and the massive reduction in independent vets, leading to big business taking over.

Floralnomad Sun 06-Oct-19 10:19:36

OP you can give baby tixylix or an equivalent to ease their throats , my dog is susceptible to KC and loves his tixylix .

shitwithsugaron Sun 06-Oct-19 10:25:24

SJane48S Sun 06-Oct-19 10:37:09

Our dog also caught it in kennels which similarly asks for proof of injection. It isn't the kennels fault and dogs as others have said can catch it anywherd . You do need to give the kennels a heads up and keep your dogs in doors for 2 weeks. It does sound a lot more alarming than it actually is and your dogs should make a full & inexpensive recovery soon

Veterinari Sun 06-Oct-19 14:35:41

@Sowingbees
*@Veterinari of course I don't think you are in cahoots with the kennels but any footfall into a practice is good news for the owner of the vets (very few privately-owned any more most owned by a management group) and for the pharmaceutical companies. Yearly vaccines are a good example of pharmaceutical companies increasing their profits and the vets being compliant.*

There are so many factual errors in your post that it would be a huge detail to attempt to discuss this.

I have to say though that the common thread with any conspiracy theory - from antivaxxers to vets in cahoots with ‘big pharma’ is usually an overwhelming ignorance of the subject. It’s the only way to make fiction ‘real’. But if you want to educate yourself, I suggest the VMD website, EU food safety regulation of veterinary medicines and the RCVS code as basic starting points.

mimbleandlittlemy Sun 06-Oct-19 17:46:52

My dog is just coming out of a bout of kennel cough. He has never been in a kennel and must have got it in the park. Vet said, as others on here, that the vaccine is only about 80% effective and that spring and autumn are absolutely peak kennel cough periods and that it takes a week to ten days to incubate so it could well be your dogs had picked it up before they went in to kennels. Definitely call the kennels because they might want to warn other owners.

My vet - big chain - said the vaccine wasn’t worth it for a healthy dog so they were obviously off message on the big pharma project grin.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 06-Oct-19 18:39:21

of course I don't think you are in cahoots with the kennels but any footfall into a practice is good news for the owner of the vets (very few privately-owned any more most owned by a management group) and for the pharmaceutical companies. Yearly vaccines are a good example of pharmaceutical companies increasing their profits and the vets being compliant.
Oh I just love this I charge £54 to vaccinate a dog against kennel cough, Lepto, parvo, distemper and hepatitis. The average lepto or parvo case is around £1500-2000 if I was really looking to make big bucks I be encouraging people not to vaccinate. So I have to vaccinate 28 dogs to turnover the same amount of money as one cheap case, but of course vaccines are low profit margin, whereas treatments tend to have a higher margin. Hmmm of to rethink my business plan.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in