Fostering

(7 Posts)
ThisIsAPun Thu 03-Oct-19 18:21:21

Just wondering if anyone fosters dogs here, and if so, who you foster for? Trying to decide between fostering for a large nationwide rescue, or a small local one.

Also, how long (approx!) do your dog foster placements last? And lastly did you ever have a 'foster fail' and keep them?

Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
Wolfiefan Thu 03-Oct-19 18:22:31

@CMOTDibbler does.

thefirstmrsdewinter Thu 03-Oct-19 18:33:20

We've fostered with a small local rescue - four fosters, three 'failed'. Fosterers can offer a convenient period (and I think they do weekend respite, so the period can be very short) but to some extent the return depends on them having kennel space.
I'd love to have more fosters - we talk about it all the time - but it would require some finesse with my current two.

Shannith Thu 03-Oct-19 18:59:56

I do - for a small local rescue. Ask away...

fivedogstofeed Thu 03-Oct-19 19:04:47

I foster for a small independent rescue. My first foster stayed, but I've had 30+ since that. The dogs usually stay with me for at least a month though a couple have been quite a bit longer.

The rescue involves me in the rehoming choice and I've stayed in touch with many of the adopters which makes it incredibly rewarding.

I occasionally take in emergency cases for a local rescue as well, maybe for an overnight or a few days until a kennel space or a long term foster place can be found - there's a huge need for this as well.

CMOTDibbler Thu 03-Oct-19 19:12:34

Yes, I foster for a local charity. I just do puppies and have had over 40 of them. Its very hard work, though rewarding as I get to meet people during the rehoming and most keep in touch.
You never know what you are going to get, and they can go from living in a shed to your house so you have to be up for a lot of wee and poo, doing lead work training, dealing with their issue and vet trips.

A neighbour fosters for Dogs Trust and their fosters are usually those recovering from operations or who just can't cope in kennels.

CMOTDibbler Thu 03-Oct-19 19:13:44

Sorry - my placements are usually short - 2 or 3 weeks, and all have moved on, though theres been a couple who if we didn't have two dogs of our own might have well stayed

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in