Talk

Advanced search

'crap owner guilt'

(37 Posts)
AsahiGo Wed 02-Oct-19 19:57:19

Does anyone else get this? How do you deal with it?

OP’s posts: |
JesusInTheCabbageVan Wed 02-Oct-19 20:24:37

I usually give her a bit of cheese.

Jouska Wed 02-Oct-19 20:32:42

Get over it and do something to make it better for my dog

theendoftheendoftheend Wed 02-Oct-19 20:36:06

whilst i realise my pup does not have the 'ideal' lifestyle, neither do I, so I figure we're in this shit together.

theendoftheendoftheend Wed 02-Oct-19 20:36:46

I usually give her a bit of cheese
grin

PookieDo Wed 02-Oct-19 20:54:39

We cuggle

aware is puke inducing

PookieDo Wed 02-Oct-19 20:58:07

I walked ddog today for an hour and it’s cold and dark now so I am not taking him out again. He’s only small, he doesn’t need the exercise (although likes the mental stimulation) and I always feel like a bad owner when I do this!

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Wed 02-Oct-19 21:14:37

I reassure myself that this is the best home he's had to date (multiple rehomes) but the competition isn't strong. I also remind myself that he lives a better life than 95% of dogs in this world.

Usually his needs take precedence, but occasionally my needs win out. No dog ever died from having a shorter than average walk from time to time.

And then I throw a ball for him, which is all he really cares about in life anyway.

PookieDo Wed 02-Oct-19 21:19:43

Agree, my dog has a lovely life and he has 3 people who adore him so much. We talk to him all the time, play with him and he sleeps on beds blush so any guilt is offset by spoiling him stupid

adaline Thu 03-Oct-19 06:43:37

I reassure myself that living in a loving family with a comfy sofa and cuddles on tap is miles better than most of the alternatives, and that he gets a good walk each day and plenty of company.

AsahiGo Thu 03-Oct-19 07:00:31

I'm happy I'm not the only one!

DarkMutterings Thu 03-Oct-19 08:12:05

I remind myself that pooch is a lazy git who frankly doesn't want to walk any way unless it's precisely 15 degrees and brilliant sunshine but with a slight breeze, and we're going to the beach in exactly the route she wants. She also only likes cuddles on her terms, is invited but declines to sit on sofas, sleep on beds irrespective of the number of tummy rubs offered and really only sees us as walking food dispensers.

And that I love every last curmudgeon bone of her and she knows it. ❤️

AsahiGo Thu 03-Oct-19 08:57:39

^aww. Very sweet.

I've had a few bad days 'omg I'm the worst :'( what have I done? :'( I'm a dog-torturer :'( '
And the dh told me to stfu, the dogs' thriving, he's happy, and we can no longer see his vertebrate. So I can't be that bad.

DarkMutterings Thu 03-Oct-19 11:19:14

Pooch is a very spoilt ex-streetdog, so I totally understand. I'm sure your dog is thriving and loved and so happy to be in your family

BiteyShark Thu 03-Oct-19 12:13:05

When my dog 'huffs' at me I think I am the worst owner in the world. Then I have to remind myself that he sleeps on my bed, gets the best expensive food I can afford, gets a fortune spent on him so he's not left alone for more than a couple of hours and lots more grin

Raphael34 Thu 03-Oct-19 12:15:56

Depends on how crap an owner you are really 🤔

AsahiGo Thu 03-Oct-19 12:48:14

@DarkMutterings - you mentioned in another post that you adopted a street dog. I know this sounds really thick, but how did that happen?! and was it in th UK?

AsahiGo Thu 03-Oct-19 12:49:38

@Raphael34 lol, I think others would give me a mixed response. Online (here) I'm probably a prime example of why idiots shouldn't have dogs. irl… I just care and panic too much. Overthink things.

missbattenburg Thu 03-Oct-19 16:17:46

Battendog's whole face has an expression of "it is SUCH a disappointment to find myself slumming it here. WHY aren't you better, human?" I put it down to getting him as a puppy. He has no idea how bad some dog's lives are!

Next time I am getting a lazy, grateful one grin grin

DarkMutterings Thu 03-Oct-19 16:33:51

Pooch is a Hong Kong village dog, found with her sister and mother in the streets. She's actually very low maintenance because she comes from so little.

DarkMutterings Thu 03-Oct-19 16:35:35

Sorry I should say I live here in HK. So we adopted through a local Rescue

AsahiGo Thu 03-Oct-19 17:09:54

Oh wow she's gorgeous! For some reason I envisioned Dante from Coco lol.

UndomesticHousewife Thu 03-Oct-19 17:39:19

He's lying next to me on a furry throw and is in fact spoilt rotten he doesn't have a bad life in the slightest so I don't feel too guilty.

sleepwhatisthat Thu 03-Oct-19 19:25:00

I always feel guilty even though I'm looking at my dog now, lying on the sofa, whilst I'm sat on an uncomfortable chair because I don't want to disturb him hmm

babyblackbird Thu 03-Oct-19 23:21:40

Am actually reassured this is a "thing" . I have permanent dog guilt - this walk isn't long enough, this walk isn't interesting enough, is he bored ? Is he happy ? Is he too hot ? Is his bed in a draught? Should I walk him again ? And on and on ...... I have two children ........ I need to get a grip ......

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in