Why does my dog not chew things anymore?

(2 Posts)
missbattenburg Tue 01-Oct-19 11:00:43

One possibility is that the teeth and chewing are linked.

If her teeth are sore she is much less likely to chew - a bit of a viscious circle.

AintNobodyHereButUsChickens Tue 01-Oct-19 10:46:35

When I first got her, I had another dog too. I would give them both chewy treats like pigs ears and they would both eat them. She would also happily chew things like antlers, nylabones and other chewy toys, she would spend hours happily chewing away! My other dog has been gone a couple of years now, and since he went, this dog has not been interested in chewing! Pigs ears get hidden in her bed for weeks on end, chewy bones and antlers just get ignored. I just don't understand confused She used to have great teeth but since she stopped chewing, the vet says she'll likely need a dental next year.

I don't think her lack of chewing is because she misses having another dog around, the two of them weren't best buddies, they were civil, but they didn't play together or share beds or anything like that. She loves her walks, loves a quick game of ball in the garden and her favourite thing is to snuggle up on the sofa with you (unless the fire is on, then she prefers to bake in front of the fire).

Anyone have any ideas why she stopped chewing and how I can maybe get her interested again?

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in