What have I forgotten?

(18 Posts)
ThisIsNotAIBUPeople Sun 22-Sep-19 15:44:12

Our new rescue dog is coming next Sat (v excited!)
He's a 1 yr old small mixed breed.
So far I have

Crate plus cover and soft liner
Bed plus cushion and blanket
Food bowls
Water bowl
Lead
Harness
Collar
Toys
Poo bags
Soft travel crate for car

What have I forgotten? DH grew up with dogs but I will be a first time dog owner. Any advice gratefully received!

OP’s posts: |
Greyhound22 Sun 22-Sep-19 15:54:32

Have you had some dog tags made? It's law for them to wear them and if they are new doubly important they have one on in case they do a runner at some point. The rescue may leave him with one with their details on for starters.

ThisIsNotAIBUPeople Sun 22-Sep-19 16:07:12

Oh blimey hadn't even though of that! Thanks. What does it need to have on? I imagine the rescue will advise me.

BrownOwlknowsbest Sun 22-Sep-19 16:18:42

By law, dog tags must have your surname, the name or number of your house and the postcode. Many people also add a phone number

You don't seem to have food or treats on your list although I'm sure you have thought of that.

missbattenburg Sun 22-Sep-19 16:39:49

You don't need all these things but some of the stuff we have that you haven't mentioned:

- tick remover
- flea comb
- various grooming brushes
- shampoo
- grooming wipes to keep in the car in case of oo rolling etc
- treat pouch to carry training treats out and about
- dog towels
- rubber mat for the bath/shower t stop slipping
- nail clippers/grinder
- bottle for taking water on walks/long car journeys

ThisIsNotAIBUPeople Sun 22-Sep-19 17:24:24

Brilliant thanks, lots I hadn't thought of. Its all a bit overwhelming, the choice available! Have done a lot of standing and staring in Pets At Home! The rescue have told me what food he's eating but no idea about treats...

sidsgranny Sun 22-Sep-19 17:28:26

Sounds like you've got it all covered. I bet the thing he'll need/want most is lots of love and cuddles and I'm sure you will have plenty of those!!

Advertisement

GrumpyMiddleAgedWoman Sun 22-Sep-19 17:43:32

A hose! Much easier than lifting a seriously stinky dog into the bath, and less cleaning up afterwards.
Tick, flea and worm treatment/preventative from your vet.

A few canine first aid supplies can be handy - a dressing and a cohesive badge to hold it in place, for example, for that one time your dog cuts his paw open and is bleeding all over the floor before you can get to the vet.

If you're using a collar with a buckle rather than a clip, brass slide-on ID tags are better, as they are less likely to get lost. If recall is likely to be problematic, a longline could be useful.

If you plan on walking in the dark,a luminous or flashing collar is a good idea.

ThisIsNotAIBUPeople Sun 22-Sep-19 17:58:36

@sidsgranny I actually cannot wait to have him here and give him his forever home with loads of love and cuddles 💕
Very glad I asked, great advice thank you

Motorina Sun 22-Sep-19 19:17:07

Kitchen towel for cleaning up the inevitable leaks.

Wine.

XXcstatic Sun 22-Sep-19 19:21:50

The floor spray for areas where he has accidents (can't remember what it's called, but they sell it in Pets At Home). It masks the smell even to doggy noses, so they're not drawn to peeing on the same place again. Very useful, even for house-trained dogs.

Old towels - I have a couple by the back door for wiping down paws.

ThisIsNotAIBUPeople Sun 22-Sep-19 19:55:55

Ah yes mopping up accidents. He is house trained in his foster home but am expecting a few mishaps while he settles. I have far too many old towels which will become dog towels and give me the chance to buy some nice new ones!

ThisIsNotAIBUPeople Sun 22-Sep-19 19:56:09

Toilet trained I mean

ThisIsNotAIBUPeople Sun 22-Sep-19 19:56:44

Wine! Like it. Not much encouragement needed theregrin

lorisparkle Sun 22-Sep-19 20:01:52

Whilst it is not an item to buy, when we first had our dog someone on Mumsnet recommended joining the Facebook group 'dog training advice and support'. I wish I had known about before we had the dog as it is full of useful information and would have prevented us making a few mistakes early on.

UrsulaPandress Sun 22-Sep-19 20:04:05

Sheesh I haven’t got a quarter of that stuff.

Time, love and patience.

Windydaysuponus Sun 22-Sep-19 20:04:27

Firstly don't forget to ask ddog which side of your bed he prefers!

ThisIsNotAIBUPeople Sun 22-Sep-19 21:32:00

*UrsulaPandress
Windydaysuponus*
grin
Lorisparkle* great idea I will have a look

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in