Suspected Pyometra wwyd :(

(46 Posts)
fairynick Sat 21-Sep-19 00:34:39

My Shar Pei will be 12 in November, but is the happiest most docile and still very playful dog. People still ask if she’s a puppy.
She had green discharge coming from her vagina and after going to the vets they have said it’s either some kind of infection or Pyometra. Been sent home with antibiotics for a couple of days so if they work it’s the infection and she’s fine but if not it’s pyometra and the only option would be a full ovariohysterectomy. A vet once told us she had emphysema so apparently because of that she can’t have the surgery, however she has never had any breathing problems. Although I know shar peis are prone and she does snore very loudly anyway. As well because of her age the increased risk in surgery is there plus the trauma and recovery etc. Also I don’t know how we’d afford the £2k surgery. The only other option would be putting her to sleep.
I really think it’s pyometra and don’t know what to do. On one hand I would want her to have the surgery but the vet doesn’t seem 100% about it and if it is successful is it worth it to put her through the trauma. She’s had such a happy life with no health problems, so maybe it is her time.
I’m sorry if this is ramble and a bit incoherent I’m just heartbroken. WWYD, go ahead with the surgery or accept that her lovely life needs to come to an end now?

OP’s posts: |
Lisette1940 Sat 21-Sep-19 00:46:11

I didn't want to read and run. I'm sorry your lovely dog is unwell. If I could scrape the money together I'd go with surgery unless the vet was reluctant. She may well get a few more happy years if the odds are goodish that she'll get through surgery.

CatPunsFreakMeowt Sat 21-Sep-19 00:48:40

I would also go for the surgery, having had a dog in the same situation who made a full recovery.

Floralnomad Sat 21-Sep-19 01:04:43

I would definitely go ahead with the surgery if she’s relatively fit generally .

Elmo311 Sat 21-Sep-19 01:31:26

Did they offer an ultrasound to confirm the pyrometra? I would try that, and then I would opt for the surgery- pyometra's can be life threatening though so I wouldn't leave it past tomorrow. The quicker you do the surgery the better her recovery and the lesser the costs and potential complications.

Starve her tonight and don't give her breakfast tomorrow so if you decide to do the surgery they can go ahead with the operation.

If she is otherwise healthy, and happy I personally would go for the surgery.

Good luck whatever you decide, I know it's not black and white x

Elmo311 Sat 21-Sep-19 01:33:06

P.s when was her last season?

fairynick Sat 21-Sep-19 08:17:18

Thanks for everyone’s thoughts. That’s the thing that confused me, she’s sort of stopped having her seasons the past year as far as we’ve noticed.
Going to speak to the vet again and see if she believes that the surgery is worth a go. Do vets always want the cash up front or is there any way you can pay instalments?

OP’s posts: |

Advertisement

Elmo311 Sat 21-Sep-19 08:29:12

@fairynick It depends how long you have been with the vets for, some vets will do a payment plan if you ask.
Otherwise you can see if you are eligible for charity help- they can help you sort that.

fairynick Sat 21-Sep-19 08:32:29

Thanks for letting me know. Also they didn’t perform an ultrasound. I think the best thing to do is just ask the vet whether they believe the surgery will be worth it or not because they’ll be thinking with their head and not their heart.

OP’s posts: |
Elmo311 Sat 21-Sep-19 09:40:31

@fairynick Well, even if she doesn't have a pyo the surgery would be cheaper to spay her so that you don't have to worry about her getting a pyo in the future. But they may not do that if she has a UTI etc. She needs another examination; go for a second opinion if they still aren't sure.

MyBeloved Sat 21-Sep-19 11:51:33

She needs an ex lap to determine pyo. We lost our golden retriever like this when i was a child and have always had my animals spayed after watching what she went through.

So sorry your lovely girl is in this situation.

DimplesToadfoot Sun 22-Sep-19 01:01:20

I'd get her operated on asap while the cost is still relatively cheap, a dog with full blown pyo has just cost a rescue I know nearly 3k in vets bills :-(

Smotheroffive Sun 22-Sep-19 01:08:59

Get her spayed urgently. Pyo can kill her very quickly and I am surprised a vet would put her on just ABs and leave it.

Green discharge from her vulva? I am really shocked she's not been operated on today.

Empathy56 Sun 22-Sep-19 01:33:31

We lost our almost 16 year old from Pyometra just over a year ago.It all came on so quick and they could do nothing to help her apart from pts.We were and still are devastated and blamed ourselves for not getting her done when she was young.I do hope your dear dog recovers well.

Appymummy Sun 22-Sep-19 01:48:09

So sorry to read about your dog, a pyo is an urgent medical condition and should be dealt with straight away. Vets should offer payment plan, if not they may be able to suggest another vet, however, NO vet is allowed to refuse treatment of an animal if it is a life threatening emergency. Hope you can get things sorted and your dog makes a full and speedy recovery!

mrscatmad31 Sun 22-Sep-19 02:26:18

I would do the surgery personally, if she gets through the surgery there's obviously no chance of it happening again. Vets have to provide treatment that's true but euthanasia would be the treatment if the surgery wasn't done
Talk to your vet they may well offer a payment plan

Maneandfeathers Sun 22-Sep-19 07:11:32

@Appymummy euthanasia is a valid treatment option and I expect has been offered, as has surgery. If unfortunately the surgery is not an option due to finances then the first option has still been offered.

Appymummy Sun 22-Sep-19 07:44:27

@Maneandfeathers completely agree! And should have but this in my original post! Thanks for highlighting smile

moobar Sun 22-Sep-19 07:48:15

Echoing the other comments that pyometra is an urgent medical matter. Out late terrier had one at 12. Came on very suddenly and was operated on and speyed that day. She made a quick full recovery and lived to 15. Very surprised it wasn't dealt with straight away.

TheoriginalLEM Sun 22-Sep-19 07:58:39

An ultrasound wont always confirm a pyometra, she needs surgery without delay as the longer it continues the more toxic she will become and the higher the anaesthetic risk. I am very much in the get it out camp.

With regards to finance some vets will extend credit but usually limited terms, so we do four monthly payments. I think that is harsh but apparently it's to do with credit laws hmm

Your issue is that it's Sunday and your vets may not be open. If she were insured then I'd say go to OOH vets but that will cost a fortune so first thing tomorrow get her to your vets.

I agree that euthanasia is a valid option as this surgery isn't without significant risk.

I hope she is ok

Coffeeandchocolate9 Sun 22-Sep-19 08:06:39

If is pyro you can't afford to wait until tomorrow!

0% credit card?

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 22-Sep-19 08:18:44

Pyrometra is as others say a life threatening condition and is so common in unspayed bitches over 8 years of age that any sick dog in this age group that is not neutered should be considered a pyo and until conclusively proven not to be.
The best long term treatment for pyo is ex-lap and ovariohysterectomy with intravenous fluids etc. Surgery is not without risk as these dogs are very poorly, but the vast majority make full recoveries.
However, there is medical treatment available for dogs who have other concurrent medical conditions that mean surgery is not an option. This is in the form of two hormone injections give 24 hours, combined with antibiotics and if required intravenous fluids. The Pyo is likely to return at some point with this treatment, but in my hands an elderly bitch can gain a year with it. It is still not a cheap option.
The longer the dog is unwell prior to either treatment the less likely the treatment will be successful. So time is of the essence.
Honestly if I had a pound for every owner of a bitch with a pyo who said oh I thought it was okay because her seasons had stopped. When the seasons stop the risk increases as any fluid remains in the uterus.

Smotheroffive Sun 22-Sep-19 09:23:54

empathy you ddog lived to a great age, and I am so sorry to hear you lost her last year. flowers

I am surprised, very surprised that your breeder gave you no information around spaying and pyo.

As pp says its risk increases with age, and your ddog made a very good age indeed!

Keep bitches in during season and no swimming.

Smotheroffive Mon 23-Sep-19 13:09:24

OP, how is your ddog? Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

fairynick Tue 24-Sep-19 20:17:10

Rang the vets back up and said that she’s happy as Larry still, normal appetite etc been on walks really giddy and lovely as normal. However the blood has now turned black. They said to just keep her on the antibiotics and finish the course and bring her back if she gets bad again because they’d be unable to do the surgery because of her emphysema. I feel horrible like it’s a waiting game or something.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in