Do you feed breakfast or go for a walk first?

(37 Posts)
Keepsmiling1 Wed 18-Sep-19 13:37:08

Hi

My puppy is almost 12 weeks old and will be able to go for walks next week. I am trying to work our what our routine will be in the morning.

I get up at 6.30am and leave the house just before 8.30am. I had thought about taking pup for a walk when I wake up (only a short one while he is young) and then giving him breakfast about 7.15am. That would give him an hour to go to the toilet if he needs to before I leave. I am only gone around 3 hours but he still isn't house trained so I would need to take him out.

Does this sound best or do some people give breakfast first then go for a walk?

OP’s posts: |
Esssa Wed 18-Sep-19 13:40:32

What breed is your pup? Is it a breed prone to bloat? I would be leaning towards out to pee then feed asap. Walk as late as possible before you need to leave. What is pups routine for the rest of the day?

Stellaris22 Wed 18-Sep-19 13:56:34

When mine was a puppy she had breakfast at about 7am, but always made sure there was at least an hour before her walk after finishing eating. Now she's older she gets breakfast after her morning walk.

missbattenburg Wed 18-Sep-19 13:58:48

Battendog has always eaten after walk. When he was small his early walk was a very short one anyway.

groovejet Wed 18-Sep-19 14:48:45

On a weekday he has a walk first, I am up at 5:30 and give him a walk at about 6am and he will then usually have breakfast at about 7.30am

On a weekend he has breakfast first but still usually at about 7.30 /8am.

weeblueberry Wed 18-Sep-19 15:04:42

Pee, breakfast, walk.

basquiatfan Wed 18-Sep-19 15:35:38

Straight out for an hour's walk. Breakfast about 30/40 mins after getting home. But I have two breeds that are prone to bloat so I am quite careful.

Advertisement

OrangeLola Wed 18-Sep-19 15:55:27

I walk first. My dog is more willing to do as he is told with a treat reward on an empty stomach.

GrumpyMiddleAgedWoman Wed 18-Sep-19 16:03:11

Walk then breakfast. Keeps them interested in the treats.

adaline Wed 18-Sep-19 16:21:56

Always a walk first - then they have an appetite for treats/training.

IckleBear Wed 18-Sep-19 17:36:48

Walk then breakfast! They always are interested in treats and when they come back they're hungry..

Keepsmiling1 Wed 18-Sep-19 18:02:04

He is a poodle cross so only small. I leave the house about 8.30am and my dad comes at 10.30am ish to let him out and have a play. Then I'm home at midday so will take him for a walk then before he has his lunch. I am home for the rest of the day so we will Potter around, get the DCs from school etc. He will have another evening walk too (may not have 3 walks when he is only little).

Those who have a walk then breakfast - are you at home all day so can let them out for a wee/poo? That's my only concern - that he will eat breakfast and then an hour later I leave for work so may not have been the toilet in that time.

basquiatfan Wed 18-Sep-19 18:57:49

I am often out for a few hours after I feed mine without any problems. They can manage for 8 hours on a night time. But they are adult dogs.

Apolloanddaphne Wed 18-Sep-19 19:00:33

Breakfast first then walk. She is a Labrador. I am not certain she would actually leave the house without her breakfast! She has mastered the art of a stock still, silent stare into her bowl.

bengalcat Wed 18-Sep-19 19:00:44

Doesn’t really matter . I get up , feed ( only to get the greedy creatures off my case ) , have a coffee , walk then off to work .

Floralnomad Wed 18-Sep-19 19:26:38

Unless it’s really hot I always do breakfast then walk about an hour later

PrestonNotHeston Wed 18-Sep-19 19:44:10

we try to do walk first, then a brief pause, then breakfast. Behaviour of the younger dog is significantly better if she's walked before 9am!

MiniPrawn Wed 18-Sep-19 21:50:55

Can’t believe how many people feed before exercise

You wouldn’t eat yourself and then go swimming

It’s not good for their stomachs.

PestyMachtubernahme Wed 18-Sep-19 22:08:42

Wake up
Wee
Breakfast
Half an hour digestive nap
A short training walk
DPestypup is 18 weeks old.

Apolloanddaphne Thu 19-Sep-19 09:34:53

I fed my dog at 8am and about to walk her now. I wouldn't say that was exercise
Immediately after eating!

MustardScreams Thu 19-Sep-19 10:12:07

Puppies only need 5 minutes of walking per month of age. So your walk would be around 15 minutes. I’d get up, wee and walk and have breakfast when you get back.

KatinLondon Thu 19-Sep-19 10:16:16

My dog is 5 months, she goes out to pee and poo after waking, then breakfast and then a walk around 60-90 minutes later. Her morning walk is our school run at 8.30am and she definitely wants to eat earlier than that.

Warmhandscoldheart Thu 19-Sep-19 10:25:15

Walk first then breakfast for my terrier cross. Exercise seems to stimulate his bowels more than food

Yokohamajojo Thu 19-Sep-19 11:22:48

Pea
Breakfast
Bit of a rest while kids and rest of family getting ready
Walk

Keepsmiling1 Thu 19-Sep-19 16:06:48

Thanks for all the replies.

Yes we will probably only take him out for 15 mins at first so will probably get up at 6.30am and take him straight out then back for breakfast.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in