PDSA for elderly dog - is the service really bad?

(5 Posts)
alittlequinnie Tue 17-Sep-19 13:48:47

Hi there

I have a client who has a dog who is only about 9 years old but he is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overweight and has problems with his gums etc.

My client has a Class U certificate for his Council Tax so qualifies for the PDSA.

Only trouble is his carers are being a bit unhelpful and say that if you go to the PDSA you have to "wait for four hours" and they "never see you" and they want a donation etc.

Can anybody tell me whether this is true? They keep taking the dog to the nearest vet which is so expensive and my client honestly can't afford it.

I have never qualified for PDSA so don't know - can you not make appointments?

OP’s posts: |
BrownOwlknowsbest Tue 17-Sep-19 16:34:56

I haven't used PDSA since I was a child, but their website gives a phone number for enquiring about care for a pet see below.
Receiving PDSA help for your own pet
Tel: 0800 731 2502
Find out if you are eligible to use PDSA's vet care services
Perhaps someone could give them a call and ask. I think it is usual to ask for a donation if you can afford it, but if they have been paying a vet then hopefully they can afford something to help the PDSA charity

TheQueef Tue 17-Sep-19 16:39:49

I've been with a friend.
They do make sign up and proof checking a bind but understandably.
Always had appointments, even for flea treatment.
Never had to wait.
They ask if you are making a contribution when you arrive and after treatment they give a receipt with approximate costs and ask again if you are contributing.

alittlequinnie Tue 17-Sep-19 18:59:55

Thank you so much for your replies. I will certainly call them.

Client is under Court of Protection and lacks capacity but loves his dog and is broke!

Does anybody know if the donation needs to be made there and then in cash or could I do a bank transfer etc later on?

Thank you in advance!

OP’s posts: |
TheQueef Tue 17-Sep-19 19:24:01

You don't have to donate, they make it a bit blunt when they say it (don't be taken back, it's not you) but it isn't compulsory.
You can pay by card at the one I've been to but I have no clue if they will accept a transfer.

If you take the eligibility documents they need (make sure the date is close enough, if you don't have an in date letter providing proof they may just get it faxed over it happened twice while I waited) they set up an agreement of some sort that lasts a certain length of time.

sat across from reception 'nebbing

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in