Grinding up kibble

(6 Posts)
ValerieFlowers Mon 16-Sep-19 23:37:44

Hi, I have an 11 year old Chiweenie (dacshund/chiuaua cross). She's had dental problems and had to have a number of teeth removed. I have 2 bags of kibble to get through and she's unable to eat it as it is. I tried adding water to make it mushy but she wouldn't eat it. I then tried putting the kibble in a plastic food bag and bashing it with a rolling pin but it's really hard stuff and it took ages and it's going to be hard going to do this from now on. She did however eat the broken up kibble. I wondered if there was some sort of kibble grinding machine that anyone knew about and could recommend? Thank you.

OP’s posts: |
missbattenburg Tue 17-Sep-19 02:01:50

Personally I would mix it in with wet food and a small amount of water and leave it to to soak until soft. That way, it' soaking up wet food flavour rather than just going pappy with water.

BrownOwlknowsbest Tue 17-Sep-19 21:13:15

Coffee grinder or the liquidiser from a kitchen mixer maybe??

ValerieFlowers Tue 17-Sep-19 21:38:17

Thank you both for your suggestions. I did try mixing with water but my dog wouldn't eat it. I don't have a coffee grinder or liquidiser but i think i'll get one. If not I will try adding water to the kibble and adding wet food.

OP’s posts: |
MarigoldGlove Tue 17-Sep-19 21:42:45

One of those hand held stick blenders would be a cheap option.

I cook a chicken with some carrots and barley in the slow cooker and then put it into takeaway boxes to mix with my dogs kibble. It’s the only way I can get her to eat.

MarigoldGlove Tue 17-Sep-19 21:45:28

https://groceries.asda.com/product/food-mixers-blenders-juicers/russell-hobbs-200w-hand-blender/1000012047112

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in