Boosters caused allergic reaction

(28 Posts)
topsagain Sat 07-Sep-19 16:17:07

My dog had her booster jabs, and subsequently vomited and her face swelled. I gave her Piriton and she had a steroid jab and is now recovered.Anyone else had this and does this mean she can't have any more jabs?

OP’s posts: |
OrangeSwoosh Sat 07-Sep-19 16:18:47

What was the time period between vaccines and vomiting and where were you?

Sounds more like she may have eaten a lazy wasp or something?

topsagain Sat 07-Sep-19 16:20:11

Few hours after vaccine for vomiting. But then another 4 hours until face swelling and she was really itchy, rubbing face onto things.

OP’s posts: |
topsagain Sat 07-Sep-19 16:34:39

Vets said bee too, but I didn't clarify the time frames of the symptoms. A wasp or bee would swell immediatley wouldn't it??

OP’s posts: |
OrangeSwoosh Sat 07-Sep-19 16:43:39

Not necessarily. Very unlikely to be the vaccine, especially if she's always had them and been ok in the past.

Take anything you read online with a pinch lorry load of salt

topsagain Sat 07-Sep-19 17:04:02

No, it was her first booster. Initial vaccine wouldn't casue a reaction, but a booster would.

OP’s posts: |
topsagain Sat 07-Sep-19 17:25:39

Anyone else have this experience? thanks

OP’s posts: |

Advertisement

Jouska Sat 07-Sep-19 18:01:33

I am not an anti vac person at all - All dogs kids and me fully vaccinated.

But this attitude does worry me and screws up the evidence of reaction to vaccinations. This possible reaction will not be recorded as another reason has been given although not proven.

If it were me I would titre test next year, if immunity is still there I would not vaccinate as your dog will be covered. However that does still leave the issue of lept on that you will have to make an informed risk appropriate decision.

Keep an eye on your dog and see if you can see a puncture wound etc or mark from a sting - it would make things easier for you if you do.

topsagain Sat 07-Sep-19 18:10:14

This is NOT an anti vaccine post. My kids have had all vaccines on the day due! I have 2 pugs and the other pug had no reaction. I booked my dogs inf or their boosters the day thet were due.

OP’s posts: |
topsagain Sat 07-Sep-19 18:12:35

Apologies, it was short sited of me to post this with all the anti vaccine hype at present.

OP’s posts: |
topsagain Sat 07-Sep-19 18:15:18

My dog has fully recovered and is well in herself and should not deter anyone from getting their dogs vaccinated. But know that piriton (weight dose ) will help any reaction (which is rare) Just wanted some advise from here going forward.

OP’s posts: |
Floralnomad Sat 07-Sep-19 18:19:16

I agree with pp that next year titre test and just give what she needs . My mums cat was allergic to vaccines ( and practically everything else ) and he used to have a anti histamine injection from the vet before he got given anything else that he needed and that helped a lot .

Winsomelosesome Sat 07-Sep-19 18:25:00

A swollen face is a common vaccine reaction in animals, although reactions themselve are quite rare. I would check your vet has made a note of this on your dog's clinical notes, they can hopefully use a different one next time depending on which vaccine it was.

OrangeSwoosh Sat 07-Sep-19 18:30:48

Well she won't be having distemper, hepatitis or parvovirus vaccines for the next 2 years anyway.

Have you discussed your concerns with your vet?

In this instance if I wanted to err on the side of caution, I'd have the lepto vaccine next year (to rule that one in or out) and have her monitored for a reaction at the vets afterwards (in a kennel with no access to any other allergens). Then repeat in the DHP year.

Jouska Sat 07-Sep-19 18:57:23

Why repeat if titre says the dog has immunity?

Veterinari Sat 07-Sep-19 19:00:59

Your vet should report as a possible adverse response to the vaccine company who will be able to advise if they've Received any similar reports and advise on likelihood of it recurring.

The administration of the steroid jab may also inhibit an appropriate immune response to the vaccine, so titres should be checked. Many vacc companies will cover these costs

topsagain Sun 08-Sep-19 09:31:09

Thanks , I will test next year for immunity first, and then if she needs them I will insist they monitor her after.

OP’s posts: |
topsagain Sun 08-Sep-19 09:33:15

The vets were very reluctant to admit it could be the jab. I'm not sure they would report it but I'll try again to see what they say.

OP’s posts: |
PhannyPharts Sun 08-Sep-19 10:00:17

Was one of the jabs lepto 4 by chance?

Moondancer73 Sun 08-Sep-19 10:03:06

Entirely likely to be due to vaccine. You don't say what breed your dog is but a vaccine is a standard sized dose - the same is given to a Great Dane as to a yorkie and that is exactly why my boy doesn't have them. I'd much rather titre test than fill him full of anything unnecessarily

topsagain Sun 08-Sep-19 10:27:17

I was wondering if one was lepto4. I'll check. Whats the deal with Lepto 4?

OP’s posts: |
topsagain Sun 08-Sep-19 10:28:31

My dog is a toy breed, and she also had Kennel cough at the same time. I read after that a small dog should not be given too many vaccines at once, so why did my vet do this??

OP’s posts: |
PhannyPharts Sun 08-Sep-19 11:27:14

There are differing reports about lepto four and vets local to me seem to be divided about it. Some ok some won't touch it.

I'm not anti vaccine but I wasn't happy risking the side effects for my puppy and stuck with the lepto 2 which has none of the controversy of the 4. I'm glad I did.

I'll be titer testing in future. I personally never bother with kennel cough as (IMO) its like vaccinating against the common cold. It's just not that effective and if you don't use day care or boarding It's not necessary.

Some vets vaccinate as they believe it's the best way to minimise risks for your pet. Some do it to make money.

Veterinari Mon 09-Sep-19 11:07:32

There’s no issue with Lepto 4 beyond a lot of scaremongering
www.gov.uk/government/news/leptospira-vaccination-in-dogs

However data like this does require any potential adverse reactions be reported

@topsagain
The vet needs to speak to the vaccine manufacturer. It may be an adverse reaction (though I agree this is unlikely given the timeframes) it may well be an insect sting or unrelated event. Regardless it should be reported so that the manufacturers can advise, and also do they can advise on the likelihood of the steroid voiding the vaccine. Your dog needs titres now to ascertain this as it’s possible the booster has been inactivated by the steroid

PhannyPharts Mon 09-Sep-19 13:39:31

I am not an expert on vaccinations as I am not a vet or a pharmacologist. I do however work with dogs and those around me alerted me to the controversy about the lepto 4. I'm not much in to scaremongering. I'm just risk averse but its all a balancing act isnt it? We do what we think is best based on the advice we're given.

The breeder of my puppy, also a vet, told me to get the lepto two not four. I subsequently contacted three other vets before vaccinating. two of those three vets said they would not use lepto 4. If expert opinion is divided, then I'd rather not risk it.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in