Phantom pregnancy

(6 Posts)
NewYoiker Tue 03-Sep-19 23:31:34

I need some advice. Our 10 month old puppy is currently lactating and is trying 'feed' her 'babies' which are currently a woolly hat and a squeaky squirrel. She keeps nesting and carrying them
Around.

We're going to the vet tomorrow but has anyone had any experience of a phantom pregnancy?

OP’s posts: |
NewYoiker Wed 04-Sep-19 00:10:06

Anyone?

spot102 Wed 04-Sep-19 02:11:46

My last bitch was notorious for them, used to nest in dark corners, get grumpy (well slightly more grumpy than normal) and lactate for ages after. Have to confess I'm quite unsympathetic and we just left her to it, it passes,didn't stop walking or anything. Although good to be aware it's happening. Actually she never seemed unduly distressed to be fair. If yours is vet may be able to suggest something - most likely neutering (cynical!)

Girlintheframe Wed 04-Sep-19 04:17:44

One of our dogs had a phantom pregnancy. She had milk too, walked around with a 'baby' and cried constantly.
Vet gave her medication to dry up her milk but it didn't really help.
We had to wait till the 'pregnancy' passed then had her neutered. It was awful for both her and us as she was so unsettled.

NewYoiker Wed 04-Sep-19 04:51:38

Ha thanks! I think we are going to the vet today because she keeps washing the squeaky squirrel and it keeps squeaking!

Photo of her and her 'babies ' she's literally leaking milk and keeping pushing them to her teats poor thing

Walney Wed 04-Sep-19 07:07:34

Ours had a phantom pregnancy and the vet didn't want to medicate, luckily it cleared up in time to be spayed.

You will need to take away the toys and we also took her bed away that she was using to nest. Also tied a tshirt round her to stop the licking.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in