Dog or bitch?

(10 Posts)
Schuyler Wed 28-Aug-19 11:15:33

I’ve only ever owned male dogs and really enjoyed the affection, although found they take some time to mature from bouncy puppies. I’m looking to add to the family, since I lost my last dog.

I’ve done a lot of reading and I am in no rush to get a dog but I’d like to know if there is a distinct difference between dogs and bitches that other people have observed and if you have a preference?

Thank you.

OP’s posts: |
missbattenburg Wed 28-Aug-19 11:33:41

I always think of the saying "if you want a good dog, get a dog; if you want a great one, get a bitch and hope for the best".

I don't know the truth of it and don't have a preference but the bitches I have known have been:

- more tolerant
- but more fiesty once that tolerance has been reached
- better company when you are sick or in need of comfort
- but otherwise fairly independent
- smart
- loyal but not needy
- stoic

I have a dog now and he is
- immature
- funny and playful
- much more interested in receiving affection than giving it
- smart but not always that bothered about doing what you want vs what he wants
- led by his hormones quite often
- a bit of a scaredy cat/wimp
- needy but not loyal

Obviously I have no way of knowing how much is his natural personality vs how much (if any) is linked to his sex.

Having typed that, it all looks like I think females are better and I don't really think that.

Some other points to note:

"males fight to breed, females fight to breathe"
Fights between males may be more common but are statistically less likely to result in injury. Fights between females are rarer but more likely to be conducted with the intention of harm.

Dealing with females seasons is more involved than dealing with male puberty. Spayiong is more expensive and complex than neutering.

GrumpyMiddleAgedWoman Wed 28-Aug-19 13:13:36

I've had both and tbh they come up pretty equal: I think that traits in the breed and the line are at least as significant as sex (needy Vizslas, stroppy independent terriers etc). Spaying costs more than castration but a bitch will usually be smaller than a dog of the same breed so other meds and later ops tend to cost a bit less.

All that said, of the various dogs I have dealt with, my two all time faves have been bitches. But seasons are a fecking nuisance when you're waiting for bitch to finish maturing!

Schuyler Wed 28-Aug-19 18:01:35

@missbattenburg
You described my last boy to a tee! Gosh, I do miss him.

Thank you both for your replies. smile food for though, for sure.

Maneandfeathers Wed 28-Aug-19 18:07:07

I find bitches so much more loyal when on side but they take more winning over.

I love my dog, he is cuddly and sweet but quite fickle and will go off with anyone with a ball. The bitch is my shadow, she would follow my off a cliff if that’s where I went.

So I suppose it depends what you need in a dog really grin

raspberryk Wed 28-Aug-19 18:43:17

I have owned both, currently have a 10 week old sprocker bitch and we didn't really consider a male dog as the only male was taken. Dp would have preferred a dog and I think I'd have preferred a bitch given a choice but I would pick breed over sex and actually pick the puppy out of the litter for temperament over sex too.

Honeyroar Wed 28-Aug-19 18:50:01

We've had a pretty even mix over the years. I'd happily have either. I find the females have generally been more loving, they were there in a flash if you were upset or ill, greedier, more cunning - will be there to "remind you" it's mealtime or will learn a trick if it gets them something! The males were generally sillier, goofier and great fun.

Advertisement

Schuyler Wed 28-Aug-19 19:04:32

I have a preferred breed that I know very well, so I am going to stick to that for definite.
I am possibly going to visit a litter at the weekend as this breeder comes highly recommended but I think I was certain I wanted a dog, so I need to clear my head before we make the long journey and they only have bitches.
With my last one, I actually went to visit his brother and fell in love with him instead because he was so chilled. He turned out to be a very naught pup and apparently the other one was the epitome of grace. Typical. grin

Imonaplane Wed 28-Aug-19 19:56:53

I have 3 pooches at the moment - 1 dog and 2 bitches. They are all different and all amazing in their own way. I would have no preference.

Tuesday2ndApril Wed 28-Aug-19 20:15:05

missbattenburg has it exactly right in my experience (two males, two females)

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in