Would you foster a Staffy?

(11 Posts)
foolserrand Wed 28-Aug-19 11:02:19

DP has a colleague going through a separation. He has a staffy he adores, but can't find anywhere to live with her short term. DP has suggested we might be able to have her for a few months while he gets sorted.

Full details, she is a 4 yo rescue, been rehomed for 12 months. We have 3 dc ranging between 10 and 5. We have a cat. We have a dog already, a 3 yr old springer x poodle boy.

Apparently, she is fabulous with cats, dogs and kids. Fully vaccinated, needs to lose weight and needs recall work. Her behaviour around farm animals is untested (relevant as we live in the arse end of nowhere!) I'm at home all day, bar the usual school run, shopping etc. We have a decent sized house and garden.

I've had strong breeds before (Rottweilers), but trained them up pre-dc. Trained my current boy, but he's an 'easy' mongrel 😂

I really want to help out, he can visit her with us and then take her home once he's back on his feet. But there's something holding me back and I'm not sure what.

Please can someone advise?! Thank you!

OP’s posts: |
Windydaysuponus Wed 28-Aug-19 11:07:54

Has it met any of your family members yet?
We had a known to us ddog for a few months and he fit into our life just fine.
Your ddog may get the deciding vote imo!
I would not disregard for the breed alone though.

missbattenburg Wed 28-Aug-19 11:08:14

I guess I might think about it if:

- I could return the dog if it didn't work out, without any guilt tripping. This is especially important because one person's view of "fabulous" around cats and kids might not necessarily match my own

- I was prepared for the dog to be with me forever if something happened and the original owner was never in a position to take her back

These are somewhat contradictory, I realise.

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Wed 28-Aug-19 11:11:20

The staffy aspect wouldn't put me off, but I'd certainly want to meet the dog first.

Why not suggest meeting for a dog walk together (whole family) and if that works well then suggest a trial of a few days? In case the dog turns out to be twatty with livestock, is your back garden fully fenced and would you be prepared to keep the dog on a long line during walks?

Make sure you discuss things like him providing dog food, paying for insurance etc etc, and what happens if you go on holiday (perhaps he could come and house sit your own dog plus yours while you're away, or pay for kennels)

foolserrand Wed 28-Aug-19 11:12:34

Oh I'm not disregarding her because of her breed! I actually wanted to rescue a staff instead of my first rottie but our lives didn't suit her needs.

She's not met any of us yet. Dog will love her as he loves all dogs, we've looked after a friend's dog before.

I've agreed to consider it, with a view to dog and I meeting her.

I think my fear lies with middle dc, she's a hugger.

foolserrand Wed 28-Aug-19 11:15:06

I forgot to say THANK YOU!

We have a long line already. Garden is safe, bar one lower wall that leads to another garden. I tend to go out hiking with mine for hours at a time, so on paper all of her needs would be met. If she does well here, I'm totally okay with her staying longer if needed.

foolserrand Wed 28-Aug-19 11:15:53

Name change fail. Shit.

Advertisement

DogInATent Wed 28-Aug-19 13:12:08

I have a female rescue staffy, their a fantastic breed and excellent family dogs. I would be very cautious about saying Yes without a probationary period. Starting with a couple of short visits, then an overnight, then a weekend.

Staffies are extremely affectionate, crave love, and I wouldn't want to predict exactly how things would go with another dog and cat when there's such an upheaval in their emotional environment.

Hidingtonothing Wed 28-Aug-19 13:21:57

I would test it all out thoroughly as discussed, let everyone meet her then have her visit a few times and see how it all works. Subject to that going well I would do it though, it's a lovely thing to do for both owner and dog smile

raspberryk Wed 28-Aug-19 19:44:21

From personal experience I have only ever known teddy bear staffies, other than it getting awkward from the "people" aspect, what are your reservations exactly?

mrsjoyfulprizeforraffiawork Thu 29-Aug-19 14:09:26

I've got a rescue female Staffy. Definitely worth a trial period. If it works out, you won't want to give her back as they steal your heart very quickly. If she turns out to be untrustworthy with livestock, surely you could keep her on a lead. Mine is on lead near waterfowl, cattle, etc for everybody's safety though she has stopped being excited by passing horses and waits quietly for me to clip on her lead and draw her over to the side when they approach.
Some are pullers on the lead - I believe they can be trained out of this. My girl only pulls if she sees a squirrel, etc but is quite an easy dog to walk otherwise. I had a male Staffy when I was a 7-stone teenager and managed him on the lead so you should be OK from that point of view. As the owner has said the Staffy in question is great with children (which you will obviously have an opportunity to test in the trial period) you will probably find it tolerates/enjoys hugs from your DC with no problem.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in