Going from one dog to two...

(18 Posts)
Totototoro Tue 27-Aug-19 22:51:15

Is it a huge difference?

TotoDog is 6 months and he's an angel. Love him to bits and he lives other dogs so much.

I saw an advert for a 6 year old dog who needs rehoming locally and we have arranged to have a park meet up to see how they get along.

Would I be mad to have 2 dogs?

OP’s posts: |
Totototoro Tue 27-Aug-19 22:52:03

I am a SAHM and time is not an issue. My dog is very rarely, if ever, left alone.

Wolfiefan Tue 27-Aug-19 22:53:07

Far too soon. At six months your pup isn’t trained and has yet to go through the hooligan adolescent stage. Best to wait at least 18 months before considering a second.

ILoveJoeBrown Tue 27-Aug-19 22:56:50

Be very careful. Our first dog loves other dogs and is very friendly, but does back off if the other dog 'tells him off'.

We have had 2 dogs and no.2 dog was very possessive of no.1 dog and would savage him if he ever went near another . We had to have no.2 dog rehomed. Heartbreaking at the time, but as soon as she'd gone, no.1 dog visibly relaxed and became his old self again.

You can be lucky - a friend has 3 dogs, all introduced at different times / ages and they all get on very well. It is however, all down to luck as they had no idea if the 3 dogs would get along.

aliasjoey Tue 27-Aug-19 23:14:24

Had to reply because our FirstDog is called Toto!

I think as both dogs are quite young, you should be okay. Our mistake was waiting until Toto was 9 years old ~ he got on well with other dogs, and we thought he would enjoy the company. Huge mistake: we got a livewire pup who has no sense of boundaries.

We also made the mistake of not being more assertive with them (we wrongly assumed that FirstDog would put New Pup in his place) Toto ended up quite stressed, and although they get on okay now it has cost a lot in vets bills, behaviourist etc. So my advice would be to let them both know that YOU are on charge, and you won't tolerate bad behaviour from either of them. Just be watchful of any dominance issues, either from the older dog or the boisterous young one. 6 months is still young - you've got the fun of adolescence to get through grin

And of course it depends if the rescue has any problems, and their personalities generally. Has the rescue dog lived with other dogs before? (Living with another dog is not the same as being friendly at the park)

hittheroadjack1 Tue 27-Aug-19 23:18:32

Don't do it until pup is much older and has passed the asshole stage (between 10 months - 2 years dependant on breed)

Wolfiefan Tue 27-Aug-19 23:19:16

@aliasjoey dominance theory has been debunked.

Advertisement

aliasjoey Wed 28-Aug-19 00:02:45

wolfie I didn't specifically mean the whole `alpha` thing, I just meant to be careful that one dog doesn't overwhelm the other. I'm probably thinking too much about our own issues because it is something that never occurred to us until it was too late. I believe we should have been much more on top of the situation... I feel guilty that we may have made FirstDogs last years miserable.

I agree with PP that 6 months is too early to take on another dog, but on the other hand I wouldn't leave it too late so that the first dog gets used to being an only.

Totototoro Wed 28-Aug-19 00:14:01

Rescue dog lived with 2 other dogs his whole life and it's currently in Foster with 8 dogs with zero issue.

Foster says hes super laid back, clean indoors, playful and loving.

He's also missing a leg.

I guess meeting him and seeing what happens can't do any harm.

I'll think on.

missbattenburg Wed 28-Aug-19 07:03:00

Do it only if you want two dogs barking at everything...

It's much harder to train out bad habits when you've got two dogs doing them, instead of one.

joystir59 Wed 28-Aug-19 07:06:05

Two dogs equals double the work, not less. An adult dog is quite likely to hate the puppy. Do not assume they will get on or play together.

BiteyShark Wed 28-Aug-19 07:19:25

If it was me I would have to give careful consideration to:-

Your current dog might be an angel but at 6 months of age lots of dogs have yet to hit the adolescent phase which can last months and is very challenging as they stick two fingers up to you and you wonder where all the training went.

The new dog will undoubtably have their own issues which often become apparent after they have settled with you.

Don't expect both will be buddies. It's great if they are but lots of threads on here show that their current dog didn't want another dog as a pal.

Can you give individual attention and training to each on a regular basis?

Can you afford double costs like insurance etc.

missbattenburg Wed 28-Aug-19 08:40:53

But I don't think the original dog is an angel? I think it barks at everything and is driving the OP mad with it as I answered another of the OPs posts on the issue. Two dogs barking is much harder to stop than one...

raspberryk Wed 28-Aug-19 08:54:49

Nooo I'd wait til first dog is 2 or 3.

GrumpyMiddleAgedWoman Wed 28-Aug-19 08:56:03

I thought this thread would be 'my dog is six,would I be mad to get a puppy?' But six months? Nope, I wouldn't get another dog yet, not a puppy and not a rescue who may or may not turn out to have issues. It could all work well, but I'd want to get my puppy thoroughly trained first.

BiteyShark Wed 28-Aug-19 08:58:27

missbatternburg I must have missed that other thread. In which case I am surprised OP described dog as an angel confused

Yes two dogs barking would be a bloody pain for everyone including the neighbours.

Totototoro Wed 28-Aug-19 13:08:45

The barking isn't an issue. It scares the shit out of me at 2am 😂 but I don't see it as an issue.

In all other respects he is perfect and yes he is an angel x

Totototoro Wed 28-Aug-19 13:09:58

And tbh I'm used to it.

I had a pug previously who was a barky nutter.

I have no neighbours so not an issue to anyone else.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in