This is a Premium feature
Tlpo recovery- ruptured other- heartbroken(16 Posts)
I posted a while back about my spaniel having tlpo surgery and the recovery- ppl here were fantastically positive....
We were on week 7 recovery going so so well, with x Ray today to check everything in place.... woke up yesterday morning and ddog is limping and showing exact same signs on other leg of rupture:-(
We re off to vets this morning to now x Ray both legs but I know it’s going to be the same issue.
I’m heartbroken for ddog, he’s gone off his food, we re having to carry him up the garden and he’s just miserable- it’s like he knows “ here we go again “.if we have surgery again it’s another 7 weeks cage rest, totalling 14 weeks in a cage with the care management that goes with it.
The insurance didn’t pay out last time as we were in first 14 days of a new policy so we cannot afford to pay for another acl surgery without insurance paying out.
Dp is heartbroken too, it’s his dog.Hes even voiced putting ddog to sleep because he feels that ddog will never go running in fields again off lead etc which the ddog has been bought up on .
So so sad , heartbroken .
You have my sympathy as this is my fear with my dog as he's an active spaniel and loves chasing and running after balls.
On a practical side how old is your dog and can you get the money from anywhere else? I understand that in most cases surgery has a good outcome but keeping an active dog still for a prolonged period when you are talking months sounds like hell so my heart would sink as well.
I think you need to let yourself feel heartbroken iykwim. It's an awful and hard situation and to do it again so soon will be hard on everyone. Then take a deep breath and be honest with your vet on cost if you cannot afford it right now and explore options until you can assuming it is the same on the other leg. Fingers crossed it isn't though.
It is really common for both ACLs to go and often within a short space of time. It seems awful now, but your dog will get better and will get back to a normal active life.
He will go running in the fields again and this time next year this will be a distant memory.
It is common for both to go and actually better to do both together or close together as the recovery time is done together (if you get what I mean)
This is horrible and very distressing for all of you but it will pass and you will get through it and your dog will be running happily again in the future.
@BiteyShark after spending 6k of own money on the gold standard tlpo op , there is no other money- there is a limit for anyone :-( An that’s my fear.
Rationally I know there was a risk to other one going but didn’t think in week 7 post op of other
My other worry is that will he have a quality of life after this or always be prone to leg issues, also what if a front leg goes ?!
Soooo many thoughts and I’m angry now, not at him nor anyone just angry.ive had dogs all my life and have never had this, they’ve always lead full years of their lives.
I also question if I’ve done the best in his recovery, I’ve followed the care to the letter but I guess you doubt yourself.The vets were so pleased in his recovery that I doubt the 2nd time round it will go as well
Quality of life should be good. I know dogs that go back to agility after cruciate surgery - some don't and choose to do other things but all have a great quality of life and you cannot tell they needed surgery. My guy is now 15 and has a bit of arthritis but this has only been in the last year or so.
This has absolutely nothing to do with your care - some dogs have weaknesses in their cruciate and it is nothing to do with what you have done.
When my dog did his the surgeon said see you back in a year to do the other one.
There is no reason to think that this op will not go as well as the other one.
Insurance may pay out - luckily our insurance paid out for both.
Also shop around for vets (If you feel happy to do so) Noel Fitzpatrick did out first leg - expensive and tbh not the best after care. Went to Anderson Moores for second cheaper and way better aftercare. £6 does sound a lot for the surgery we paid about £3500 two years ago.
I can imagine your devastation at this situation but it is absolutely not the end of your playful energetic dog.
Thank you all so much for your positive messages- I’ll update you all later xxx
It's awful, I know
My boy ruptured his second cruciate exactly six weeks to the day after his first one. We knew it was likely, but really hoped he would have had longer.
It was a long, slow recovery. He's a big active, young dog and restricting him was so hard. HOWEVER a year later he was completely back to his old self and no one would ever guess what happened.
Well good news- it turns out he has a very deep grass seed and puncture to his paw pad I’m surprisingly happy about that as I feared the worst.
Apparently the treatment would have been sedate him, operate it out and bandage.... he was being sedated anyhow so I’m pleased.
That's really good news and must be a relief that it was something relatively simple to solve.
Thank you all for your kind words, positive thoughts
To save you from worrying about his other leg going, could you ask the vets if you could pay them in instalments for another expensive op? You’re obviously good clients and vets do grow fond of their patients.
I haven't read the full thread but wanted to let you know our experience. Our beagle did his first ACL about 5.5 years ago - we went for surgery at our own cost as he wasn't insured. Surgery was successful but there have been problems ever since with scar tissue and recurrent skin infections. He had the pins removed about a year later as the vets thought they might be causing the problem but it hasn't fixed it.
A couple of years later he did his other ACL - as my experience with surgery was not 100% I opted for conservative management even though the vet pushed surgery saying that arthritis could become an issue.
We are now a few years on and I honestly think the non-operated leg is better. And although there is some arthritis it's not bad and he is 14 - still loves his walks and can run a little bit.
So my advice would be to manage it conservatively and give it time. Often I think the vets push early surgery but if necessary the surgery can be delayed.
That is great news!
I think I may have posted on your original thread about my JRT who was operated by on for a ruptured cruciate ligament slightly over a year ago now...he’s done the other one as well and was operated on this morning! Sadly once they do one, they are likely to do the other, but they can still make a full recovery. Pookie was back to normal after he recovered from the first surgery.
Please login first.