Pink sore on lips?

(5 Posts)
Shazzanat Thu 08-Aug-19 20:59:35

Hi guys,

I've noticed a new (I think?) pink sore on my dog's lips. He is a 4 year old goldie. Going to book him into the vets but just wondering if anyone knows if this looks normal for his age/what is might be? Thank you!

OP’s posts: |
Moondust001 Thu 08-Aug-19 21:17:37

It looks like a canine oral papilloma - a benign lump caused by a virus. But all such things need to be checked by vets. If I am right it will probably go away on its own, but they can get infected and need antibiotics.

And I don't want to be rude - it may just be light angles on the photos - but while at the vet maybe talk about tooth hygiene. The teeth don't look too good for a 4 years old. They don't look an issue now, but I can see areas I'd be concerned about for the longer term. and your lab needs those teeth for many years to come.

Shazzanat Thu 08-Aug-19 21:21:30

Thank you @Moondust001! That has put my mind at rest somewhat and it what I found with Google as well. Will ring the vets tomorrow to be sure.

No don't worry, thank you I was thinking the same looking at the picture!! Altho they do look cleaner than that in real life, the lighting in my kitchen is crap.

Moondust001 Thu 08-Aug-19 21:30:13

The gum line is always a bit of a swine to see clearly, but that is where it looks worst and can be hard to clean. If in doubt, maybe think about - if you don't already use it - adding a water additive to the routine. I have found that combining methods can be useful for dogs. What the brush misses, the gel gets, and what the brush and the gel misses, the water gets!

Shazzanat Thu 08-Aug-19 21:33:28

Thank you I will have a look now. Just been looking at plaque off on amazon. It is incredibly hard to brush his teeth well as he still acts like a bouncy puppy when and gets all excited when he gets a bit of fuss 😁

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in