Male dog owners

(34 Posts)
mumderland Sun 04-Aug-19 16:08:48

Not sure how to phrase this but does anyone else with male dogs have what can only be described as willy splashes on walls/doors? I feel like I'm constantly scrubbing the marks off and they don't half take some scrubbing!
Anyone have any products that make it a bit easier?

OP’s posts: |
LittleLongDog Sun 04-Aug-19 16:20:44

Am I being naive in asking if you mean your dog is urinating indoors? (Is it still a puppy?)

It would probably be easier to stop it happening than spend your life scrubbing walls.

missbattenburg Sun 04-Aug-19 16:55:00

Male dog here, don't have this.

Is he marking?

BiteyShark Sun 04-Aug-19 16:58:42

Nothing like that with my dog.

mumderland Sun 04-Aug-19 17:00:44

No he's fully house trained. He's 3. He is in tact if that makes a difference. There are just small yellow splashes at his level so it can only be coming from his bits 🙈

PeoniesarePink Sun 04-Aug-19 17:05:40

We've got a male entire spaniel. The word you're looking for is smegma. It's all over my furniture................

mumderland Sun 04-Aug-19 17:34:27

@PeoniesarePink ah someone who knows what I'm talking about!
How do you tackle it? I've been using cif cream cleaner but it still takes a lot of scrubbing!

Advertisement

LittleLongDog Sun 04-Aug-19 17:36:00

Wtf?!

Mine is only ten months old at the moment - are you telling me he’s going to start splashing smegma around the place at some point?!

I’m adding this to my list of Things You Don’t Find Out From Puppy Research.

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Sun 04-Aug-19 17:55:20

Male dog, neutered, nothing of the sort happening here

PinkOboe Sun 04-Aug-19 17:56:14

Are you sure it’s not drool?

mumderland Sun 04-Aug-19 17:58:05

I'm thinking it must be un neutered thing

Knitclubchatter Sun 04-Aug-19 18:00:27

yes, my neutered bull dog did have a bit of an infection to the glans and did have yellow discharge that dripped splashed as he walked about.
saw the vet, special cleansing solution helped but didn't fully resolve.

Jouska Sun 04-Aug-19 18:03:13

No it is not an unneutered thing.

I would be going along to the vet to get this checked. Most dogs will clean themselves so this is not an issue - however if smegma is excessive it can be a sign of ill health or an infection.

I have 4 male dogs and do not ever have to clean up smegma.

I love what we talk about in the dogshouse smile this can not be a normal conversation for a Sunday afternoon.

GeraldineFangedVagine Sun 04-Aug-19 18:04:00

Am I the only one who thought you meant ‘males Who own dogs’ gross! 😂

mumderland Sun 04-Aug-19 18:08:09

He's done it for as long as I can remember. He cleans himself regularly. I will mention it to the vet next time we're there

missbattenburg Sun 04-Aug-19 18:24:23

Battendog = intact and no smegma.

I will file this along with that thread about how intact males regularly ejaculate under "thank god it doesn't happen here' grin

Good luck OP!

bebeboeuf Sun 04-Aug-19 18:25:45

Neutered male 5 year old and not had this

Cyberworrier Sun 04-Aug-19 18:28:34

I read this as male dog owners as in men who own dogs! I thought it was going to be some kind of dog walking etiquette discussion after some men being unfriendly/staring at their phones instead of keeping an eye on their dogs! 😂 I have never noticed this from our neutered boy dog.

musicposy Sun 04-Aug-19 18:28:44

I might be being thick here but are you sure he isn't marking when you're not around? It's not the same as peeing in that they only use a tiny bit of pee. We have a male rescue who was an ex stud dog and he did this at first. The rescue had neutered him and after a few weeks his brain caught up with his body and it stopped. In the meantime I made judicious use of simple solution, which is good for marks and odours. I also watched him like a hawk!

SirSidneyRuffDiamond Sun 04-Aug-19 18:28:43

I've had two intact male dogs (plus one unneutered male dog when growing up) and all have had this issue. My current dog had it right up until he was neutered at the age of 3 and then it stopped. I always assumed it was partly hormonal, but may be it's just been a coincidence?

mumderland Sun 04-Aug-19 18:37:52

Definitely not marking @musicposy he's a good boy smile most of it is on the wall up the stairs where there's obviously more movement involved

mumderland Sun 04-Aug-19 18:38:59

Not in any rush to get him done just yet as he's anxious so I suppose I just need to keep trying every cleaning product!

Jouska Sun 04-Aug-19 18:52:43

Oh my browsing history - googled some more and it does appear to be more obvious in unnetured dogs - I wonder if @LonecatwithKittens is around to help with this.

Wow also glad that I do not have to live with this and looks at my boys with new love and affection for not smegmasizing our house

adaline Sun 04-Aug-19 18:57:33

Nope, never. He's neutered but even when he wasn't we never had any marking or yellow stuff on the walls - sorry!

Purplecatshopaholic Sun 04-Aug-19 19:24:51

PurplecatDog, neutered, no issues. Never had an issue with other dogs either (all neutered).

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in