Beat place to get flea treatment that isn’t the vet

(13 Posts)
WhatALump Sun 04-Aug-19 08:23:18

Where is the best place to buy flea treatment from for dogs and cats that doesn’t involve a vet? My local vet won’t issue flea treatment without a consultation and my pets are otherwise healthy so I don’t want to have to pay extra unnecessarily.

OP’s posts: |
SeaEagle21 Sun 04-Aug-19 08:24:45

The pet section in any large supermarket would have it.

EmmaC78 Sun 04-Aug-19 08:28:14

Pets at Home sell it but i only use the stuff from the vet. The supermarket/ pet shop ones didn't work when I used them so were a waste of money.

Banananananas Sun 04-Aug-19 08:29:34

Good question, I buy a specific brand which is safe for cats, dogs and babies as I have all of these at home.
What brand do you use?

billhubbard Sun 04-Aug-19 08:32:56

We use advocate from vet , which is drops on back of the neck once a month . Don't need consultation I just get it at reception.
Have you tried a mole valley farmers ? They do frontline and other treatments.

flumpybear Sun 04-Aug-19 08:36:20

How much do you guys pay? My last flea treatment purchase was £33 for three medium size cat treatments - this is more expensive than I recall?!

billhubbard Sun 04-Aug-19 08:42:15

@flumpybear Advocate is about the same . I pay £30 something for 3 months for a large dog . He's not large he's heavy so needs large dog dose .

Advertisement

TickledOnion Sun 04-Aug-19 08:44:03

Itch this company do mail order flea treatment.

missmouse101 Sun 04-Aug-19 08:51:48

At our vets, it's a free of charge consultation with a nurse for a flea and worm check and then you can purchase the proper stuff. The drugs that are safer and most effective can only be sold through vets as they are 'prescription only drugs'.

Do not waste money on the other pet shop, chemist etc crappy versions. They mostly contain older chemicals which fleas and worms have now become resistant to. It's a total waste of money.

alteredHalfling Sun 04-Aug-19 08:51:49

I use vetuk.co.uk its good named brands and no vet fees at the vets for my lot and the house i paid over £70 online at vetuk i pay £30 for the same stuff, thats for 3 cats, 1 dog plus household spay
I use advantage for pets and Indorex for house not sure about indorex and babys but its great at protecing the house but we spray all soft furntiure matteress's , cutrains, rugs chairs but clothes and bedding we just wash them, if you keep getting them try getting rid of carpet we went from getting fleas 3-4 times a year to maybe once and we dont even give regular monthly flea drops to the pets

LazyFace Sun 04-Aug-19 08:52:56

Online. I never had any issues with products you can get without presciptions. I flea and worm monthly.

Bubblysqueak Sun 04-Aug-19 08:53:21

We had horrible infestation, tried everything from the vet, house bombs everything but nothing worked.

I then went to let's at home and tried their monthly subscription flea stuff and it was brilliant. No more fleas, ever!

adaline Sun 04-Aug-19 09:15:14

I get mine from petdrugsonline - we buy Frontline and have never had a problem. It's about £16 for three months worth (we treat monthly).

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in