Post-Pancreatitis worry

(9 Posts)
IHateUncleJamie Sat 03-Aug-19 08:54:33

Morning all, I have a previously extremely healthy Mini Schnauzer who’s almost 9 and who spent 4 days in hospital with sudden onset Pancreatitis. No explanation for it as he never gets fatty treats and only has wheat-free kibble so it could have been something he picked up.

When he was discharged, we didn’t see a vet but a nurse who just gave us Omeprazole and 5 days of antibiotics to be taken with food. Not sent home with any pain relief. Couldn’t get the Omeprazole down him the first night (thought we had but he hid it in his beard 😩) but he did eat boiled chicken, had his antibiotics and seemed very tired but fine.

Yesterday morning he gobbled up another bowl of boiled chicken with the Omeprazole hidden in a piece, had his antibiotics, again, tired but fine although a bit farty in the afternoon. Hardly ate any dinner, maybe 2 pieces chicken and one mouthful of Hills Prescription i/d low fat kibble. Half an hour after antibiotics he started to fidget and pant and looked in pain but no vomiting or shivering. Slept ok but refusing food this morning so haven’t been able to give him meds. At 7.30 he was sick - mostly bile but 2 pieces chicken.

I suspect the antibiotics are too strong for him on basically an empty stomach. He’s always been prone to throwing up bile when hungry but usually he’ll eat. Now though it’s as though he associates food with pain. The Vet managed to rack up a £1500 bill and our insurance only covers up to 2k per condition per year so although I will of course phone the vet as soon as they open, should they reasonably have discharged him with no pain relief and such little advice? Am I within my rights to say I’m not paying a huge consultation fee again if they insist on seeing him? More importantly, is this normal after Pancreatitis?

Thank you.

OP’s posts: |
pigsDOfly Sat 03-Aug-19 09:56:59

Sorry to hear your dog has this, it's very painful, poor doggy.

My dog has had a few attacks of pancreatitis over the last couple of years.

She has always been given pain killers as well as antibiotics.

She is also permanently on 'Zitac' the active ingredient is 'Cimetidine'. It's a sort of antacid and keeps her pain free. She's a small dog and is on a very low dose - quarter of a tablet twice a day and it works very well for her.

I haven't heart of Omeprazole but having googled it, it sounds like it's a similar thing.

Being in hospital will rack up a high bill, but agree your bill sounds very high.

My dog is usually pretty wacked out after she's had one of these attacks especially if she's been ill enough to be admitted to hospital, which has only happened once.

I would not be happy that no pain relief has been prescribed though, as that will make a huge difference to how your dog copes with the whole thing and how much better he feels and how quickly. Very odd that they didn't give any.

Yes, I'd also ring them this morning and tell them he needs pain killers.

One last thing, my dog is always prescribed a probiotic pump such as Protexin Pro Kolin as well, although this doesn't need a prescription as far as I know. It's a food supplement that is given twice a day at meal times. It helps with the acid reflux as well. Very easy to administer, my dog loves the taste.

If you're not happy with the treatment and charges from your vet, might be worthwhile looking at other vets in your area.

Hope you get this sorted out.

IHateUncleJamie Sat 03-Aug-19 10:47:08

Ah, thank you for replying @PigsDOFly ♥️ He had antibiotics while in and they never mentioned any infection so I don’t know why he came home with another 5 days of the dog version of Co-Amoxiclav which even I find very strong.

Waiting for the Vets to phone back now and I’m going to demand painkillers and an easier to administer anti-acid. That Protexin Pro Kolin sounds excellent - do you know if it can be given instead of food to start with, until he starts eating again?

In two minds whether to literally force the Omeprazole down him with a few drops of water or wait to see if the bloody Vet ever phones back.

pigsDOfly Sat 03-Aug-19 10:49:49

Sorry, just one more thing that might be worth considering to help you manage this; it might be worthwhile looking at the food your dog is on.

Mine is now on a wet low fat, 'sensitive' prescription food, she can't tolerate kibble at all.

The food is expensive but with a small dog that doesn't work out too awful and buying it online makes it a lot cheaper. I buy it online from Pets at Home.

However, Chappie, which can be bought anywhere is almost identical - slightly lower protein content - and will do the job just as well.

pigsDOfly Sat 03-Aug-19 11:03:58

The probiotic pump can't be given instead of food, it has to be given with food. It's a very small amount, just helps to sooth the gut.

They always give antibiotics, I imagine in case there is infection or the possibility of infection in the gut.

The last time my dog had an attack, they gave me a different antibiotic and pain killer from before - I'd seen a vet who was new to the practice - and I had terrible trouble getting them into her, mainly I think, because the pills where huge and she's a small dog. In the end I told them I would like to bring her in each day and get them to inject the appropriate medication, which is what we did.

The vet I saw also wanted to change the Zitac, to something that is actually a human medicine, which had a really strong smell. The Zitac is very easy to get into her as they're tiny, I just pop one in a bit of her food and she doesn't even notice. I had to be quite insistent that I didn't want to change it.

I've actually changed my vet since then for various reasons but one reason was that the change over of vets was really rapid and every time I went there would be a new one. Very important to me to be happy with my vet.

TheoriginalLEM Sat 03-Aug-19 11:08:52

I am a vet nurse and we always discharge patients. The medication will have been prescribed by the vet who will have discussed the case in depth, however it will be the nurses who deliver all of your animals care. They are professionally qualified and should be able to answer all your questions.

It is now considered to be important to keep your dog eating, avoiding fat if possible. With regards to the omeprazole, it should be a capsule which you can open and sprinkle the little balls on the food.

The panting may be due to nausea which is controlled by cerenia either tablets or injection (maropitant is the generic name). He is also likely to be in pain and should be getting some pain relief.

I would call your vet and they may prescribe some anti sickness meds and or pain killers. Don't just stop the antibiotics as it is unlikely to be the cause of his discomfort but do discuss this with your vet.

Pancreatitis isn't a quick fix and takes a while to settle, however once hydrated the patient often does better at home.

From personal experience my dog had this and ever since I have to be extremely careful to not give titbits as it makes him sick.

Your vet also may have given you some low fat diet for his immediate recovery period.

Will they charge another consult fee? Probably but at a reduced rate however an independent practice is less likely to do so.

Poor dog, it's a painful condition and often the cause isn't really known.

IHateUncleJamie Sat 03-Aug-19 11:29:49

Ah, thanks both. The Vet who’s on duty today is our usual Vet who I really like and trust. Ddog was taken to another surgery (same Vets have 5 different sites) and the staff there aren’t as nice or as thorough as our nearest surgery. So I’m really hoping for a proper chat with our Vet although he still hasn’t phoned. 😔

That’s reassuring re the antibiotics, thank you. It does definitely seem to be them causing a bit of a relapse and as he’s been sick again twice this morning I’m loathe to give him a strong antibiotic on an empty stomach. We have managed to get him to take some water via pipette now which is a relief.

Advertisement

pigsDOfly Sat 03-Aug-19 13:17:59

Wish him better. It's so hard to see them unwell, poor little chap.

IHateUncleJamie Sat 03-Aug-19 13:31:06

Thanks Pigs ❤️

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in