Dog barking through the night at dog boarder

(7 Posts)
fikel Sun 28-Jul-19 16:48:22

I have a toy poodle who is staying with a dog boarder whilst we’re on holiday overseas. She rang me the 2nd day to say he’d barked all night. I suggested that she stays with him. The next night he was fine but she has texted me this morning to say he was up at 5am and they’re shattered.
I apologised and said I’ll be home soon.
I don’t know what more I can suggest and it’s had an impact on me being able to enjoy my holiday.
Any suggestions welcome 🙏

OP’s posts: |
BiteyShark Sun 28-Jul-19 17:26:33

Totally relate to that as my dog used to get us and our boarder up at the crack of dawn (4am) until we both started to let him on our bed at night (not recommending you do that). Fortunately my boarder has looked after him since he was a puppy and we both knew what he was like so she was prepared for it and if it did bother her a lot she didn't mention whilst I was away.

I take it the boarder doesn't have dogs of their own and you didn't do a trial beforehand?

Right now the thing is you can't do anything now as you are on holiday and the boarder will just have to manage the situation as best they can as that is what they are paid to do.

For next time maybe find a boarder that has their own dog which may provide company for yours at night and do a trail night before you actually need them or consider getting a pet sitter who stays at your home so they have a familiar place.

fikel Sun 28-Jul-19 18:03:24

Hi they do have a dog and he had 3 trial days there but not overnight. He seemed fine with it all but thank you for sharing. It’s good to know it’s not just my boy. I v much doubt she will want him to stay again

BiteyShark Sun 28-Jul-19 18:19:54

Are the dogs sleeping together or are they crating/separating them? You could suggest altering the sleeping arrangements to see if it helps, putting a radio on, moving his bed into another room etc.

Unfortunately it's not something you can alter and really it's down to them to try and manage your dogs anxiety at being in a strange home. Hard to not worry but your hands are tied and it's a shame they told you which will naturally spoil your holiday.

When you get back I would look at doing some trial nights to find a boarder who accepts dogs will be unsettled.

We are very lucky that our dog loves our boarder and our boarder puts up with his 'issues'.

MissShapesMissStakes Sun 28-Jul-19 18:32:21

Our dog barked in the night when we went away - WITH him. Think it was just a different house. He ended up sleeping in the bedroom with us.
He came home and slept alone downstairs fine again. It’s just different surroundings.

To be honest I wouldn’t really expect the boarder to phone complaining about things like that on the first night. Surely if they are in that line of work it’s happened before and I would only think they would ring if they had tried a few things (including dog sleeping with them) and the dog hadn’t settled after a few nights. What do they expect you to do? All it’s going to do is put a dampener on your holiday.

Relax and enjoy your holiday. There is nothing you can do.

fikel Sun 28-Jul-19 19:06:03

Thank you yes I do feel that she shouldn’t have called me at 9am and then texting me as the only thing it has done is made me feel unsettled.
He doesn’t sleep in a crate anymore stopped when he was 2. The lady he usually stays with was only free for the week we couldn’t do this time around

BiteyShark Sun 28-Jul-19 19:16:16

Ah so it sounds like you have a good boarder that you usually use and have just been unlucky with this one.

Try and enjoy the rest of your holiday OP easy to say hard to do now they have contacted you

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in