Me again...

(12 Posts)
Newpupsoon Tue 23-Jul-19 23:37:48

Hi, sorry for more questions. Our puppy is 9 weeks old tomorrow, we’ve had her since Sunday.
I had planned to have the crate in with me at night but was told by so many people not to that I haven’t.
She settles really well in her crate and on night one was up every 2-3 hours. She just wanted to see a friendly face though (no pee all night). She settled back down happily.
Last night the same except she was up every hour, at 2.30 I made a little camp bed for myself beside her and didn’t hear another peep until dh came down at 5.30.
Tonight I thought I’d bring her crate upstairs, thinking she’d settle and sleep well knowing I was there. Well she hated the idea and wouldn’t go in the crate, cried, tried to pee on my carpet.
I’ve taken the crate downstairs again and she’s gone straight to sleep.
Problem is I don’t want to be up all night again just to tell her to go back to sleep. If she needed to go out to toilet I wouldn’t mind.
Have I ruined it by not having the crate by my bed? Will she ever sleep through without shouting for me in the night? Should I persevere with the crate upstairs?
She’s so lovely and I don’t want to leave her crying.
TIA

OP’s posts: |
Ilikewinter Tue 23-Jul-19 23:42:47

No, leave the crate downstairs, if you have her in your room now she'll get used to that and then it will be difficult to get her back downstairs again!

Being a puppy mum is hard work but eventually she will settle down and sleep through the night...it may take a while though!

Nesssie Wed 24-Jul-19 11:54:57

I would sleep downstairs with her in the crate for a while. Its annoying but by far the best and quickest way to teach them night time settling.

Try not to interact with her when she wakes up (unless she needs the toilet)
then gradually sleep further and further away from the crate.

She's just a baby and night time is scary for her on her own in a strange place. As she grows up and settles she won't need you there.

LittleLongDog Wed 24-Jul-19 12:01:38

It takes a while for them to settle all through the night. It sounds like you’re doing the right thing for the long term. You just have to see it through, which I appreciate is tough - I remember falling asleep sat against the fridge when longdog was teeny tiny!

Newpupsoon Wed 24-Jul-19 13:33:38

Thanks for the advice everyone. @LittleLongDog how long do you think it will take? Everyone a have told I’m sleeping in the kitchen looks at me like I’m mad. I was telling myself I’ll do it until Friday and then that’s it but if you think it’s worth it then I’ll carry on as long as she needs. She doesn’t want any interaction, just pops her head up, sees I’m there and goes back off to sleep. Are we talking days? Weeks? Months? I know all pups are different...

OP’s posts: |
Jouska Wed 24-Jul-19 13:46:19

Generally days. As she gets more used to her surroundings she will get more confident. Each night I would move slightly further away from the crate until you are out of the door and back in your bed.

Looking on the bright side it may be cooler in the kitchen for the next few days smile

LittleLongDog Wed 24-Jul-19 16:52:24

I’d say days or weeks. And as @Jouska said: move yourself further and further away bit by bit.

At least it’s summer. We got our pup in the Winter and it was bloody freezing in the kitchen and doing nighttime toilet training etc!

No one can really understand what’s it’s like having a puppy until you have a puppy (and even then you forget so quickly as they grow). So don’t worry if people are looking at you like you’re a bit odd for a while!

Advertisement

user12398798768657 Wed 24-Jul-19 17:13:32

I bought userpup a heatbeat lamb. It was about £13 from amazon. It was about the same size as him and it has a battery operated heartbeat to soothe new puppies.
First night I slept downstairs but not in the same room, he woke 3 times and went out to the loo each time.
Second night he woke once and went to the loo.
After that I left him downstairs in the utility room with the heartbeat lamb.
We've now had him three weeks and he sleeps through and after the first two weeks he now isn't peeing in the night either. Last night with the storms I went down because I was worried he'd be scared. He wasn't at all bothered and after giving me a kiss settled straight back down.
He is a remarkably calm puppy though. We lucked out.

StillMedusa Wed 24-Jul-19 22:12:21

Day 10 here.
Second night in the crate (before that she was just sleeping next to me on the floor!)
I can't have her upstairs as the cats need a safe space, so I've been on the sofa for 8 days..last night I lay on the floor next to her crate as I put her in it at night for the first time...and fell asleep there!

Tonight dh is doing the honours as I am knackered beyond belief smile He is planning to settle her then sleep on the sofa a few feet away,
I'm hoping to crack it before we go camping in 2 1/2 weeks time!!!!

user12398798768657 Wed 24-Jul-19 23:10:12

I would recommend the heartbeat lamb. It does seem to give them the reassurance they need.

RedHelenB Thu 25-Jul-19 00:14:06

I just put puppy pads to cover a space in the kitchen from day 1 (he was puppy pad trained) and slept in my own bed. Probably by week 2 they werent being used on the whole. Think we had a couple of instances of barking/ crying but much easier getting puppy to sleep through the night than my babies!

Heuristic01 Thu 25-Jul-19 20:03:42

It sounds as though your pup isn't ready to be left alone for longer periods of time just yet. If it's possible, sleep near to your puppy for the meantime. This means during the day you can work on crate training and gradual exposure to being separated, without everything falling apart at night-time. If your puppy is sleeping better downstairs then personally i would stick with this.

During the day, this is your best opportunity to get your puppy comfortable with the crate. Only when your puppy is comfortable with the crate, you can gradually start leaving your puppy alone for short periods of time - seconds and minutes at first. I've linked two video's below that should definately help, I can also send you a training plan if this is something you might find useful. Best of luck

Getting puppy used to the crate - Video 1 -
youtu.be/OPheiar_6k0

Getting a puppy used to being alone in crate -
Video 2 - youtu.be/YTAKn6ZmpPc

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in