Cooling Bandana/Cool Mat

(15 Posts)
bigpawsnopaws Tue 23-Jul-19 09:10:23

Has anyone used these? The weather is hot again and pup, 6 months seems to feel the heat and puffs and pants. Our house is quite 'hot' anyway.
He gets left for 3 hours x 3 times a week so I was thinking maybe get a cool mat or jacket/bandana for him to help stay cool.
Has anyone used these? is it safe to leave him alone wearing the bandana?
Can you tell I've not had a dog before?smile He's a Lab so would need Large size I'm guessing.

OP’s posts: |
Doublethesarcasm Tue 23-Jul-19 09:12:52

They are good but I wouldn't leave a pup unsupervised with one.
My pup last year chewed both his and my older dogs when I was out of the room for mere moments!

You an wet a towel, wring it out and pop it in the freezer and then use this.

Madvixen Tue 23-Jul-19 09:20:01

Both my boys have their bandanas on already and I find that it really makes a difference for them. We also have cool mats in their crates (covered the crates with old curtains to make them even cooler), a paddling pool in the garden and fans on in most rooms.

Mine are Rotties and they really struggle when it gets hot.

Icklepup Tue 23-Jul-19 10:07:38

I got a cool mat and it was useless.. When the dog lays on it it was cool for a few minutes then it was the temperature of the dog and then it never went back to the cold temperature it was.. He didn't use it after that!

bigpawsnopaws Tue 23-Jul-19 12:32:56

mixed reviews then, hes so hot bless him, I've got a water spray and spray him with a fine mist, he seems to like that

PookieDo Tue 23-Jul-19 14:34:25

My dog will not lie on the cool mat. Waste of money! I’ve put in a pillowcase too

bigpawsnopaws Tue 23-Jul-19 15:13:53

well i got a cool mat, they had 20% off in the pet shop so thought I'd give it a go. He appears to love it!

Advertisement

PookieDo Tue 23-Jul-19 16:52:33

Mine is very unhappy about the wet tea towel. He can wear it for 10 mins I am sure he will get it off it’s only tied gently

But I have tried everything! He keeps laying on the rug and then panting

I’ve tried freezing the mat, putting a cotton cover on the mat.

He doesn’t like getting wet all that much 😂

bigpawsnopaws Tue 23-Jul-19 17:16:31

bless him pookiedo grin

IdRatherBeCrafting Tue 23-Jul-19 17:24:13

Mine likes the cool mat but took a while to get used to it. Now he will go there instead of his bed when's it's hot.

I also have a cool coat- which you wet and wring out before wearing. It stays cool for about 3 hours and he wears it whilst he's wandering about in the garden.

Frozen carrots and the water fountain are also popular smile

iamme21 Tue 23-Jul-19 17:30:47

Took mine a little while to get used to but she loves it now!

PookieDo Tue 23-Jul-19 17:38:14

I could get a cool coat
Sounds better than my tea towel.

He’s laid down now with it on (on the rug) and given up staring at me to take it off

PookieDo Tue 23-Jul-19 17:38:30

These hot dogs are so cute

Grandmi Wed 24-Jul-19 11:17:16

Yes definitely recommend cool mat . My elderly JRT is really suffering with the heat . I put it in the fridge for an hour and Millie is definitely cooler on the mat and with the fan on.

missyB1 Wed 24-Jul-19 11:19:27

Bottle of iced water in front of the fan seems to work for our mini schnauzer. She won’t lie on a cool mat - she’s very suspicious! grin

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in