Puppy feeding

(9 Posts)
TheRealHepzibah Sun 21-Jul-19 08:06:01

So my lurcher puppy is 12 weeks old today and all is brilliant with her. However I'm wondering about her feeding. She is on Legacy 60/40 dry puppy food. She is 5.3 kg and eating approx 200g a day. On the packet it says that a puppy her size (5-10kg) should be eating 140-180g. If I try and feed her this amount she is constantly looking for more food.....does this amount of food sound OK? I'll admit to worrying about how much she will eat (and the cost!) when older even though I had a deerhound X before and this pup should be smaller!

OP’s posts: |
BiteyShark Sun 21-Jul-19 08:32:47

The feeding amounts are really a guide but as a puppy as long as she is growing and not looking a pudgy puppy I wouldn't worry too much. As an adult I go by how my dog looks from the weight charts to check his weight.

I do think feeding dry is difficult as the amount is so small and whilst I know it swells inside them I think feeding wet or raw probably satisfies them more because there is more natural volume that they consume immediately.

Have you thought about adding some veg like carrots if she is still hungry but at a good weight?

TheRealHepzibah Sun 21-Jul-19 09:30:39

Carrots? Really? Her body conformation is good, she doesn't look fat or thin.
I've not had a puppy for over a decade so have forgotten lots!
Not the best picture of my pup but here she is.

BiteyShark Sun 21-Jul-19 09:39:11

My dog loves raw carrots and they are his treat when he wants more but he's had enough of his normal food.

Sooverthemill Sun 21-Jul-19 10:36:00

A fiend adds carrots and broccoli to her young dogs food, always has. My 14 month puppy has carrots broccoli and cucumber as treats. Veg is good for them and bulls out dry food. Don't forget the amounts are just a guide, how are her ribs? What does the vet say?

Icklepup Sun 21-Jul-19 11:51:01

My dog ate more when growing as a puppy and slowly she started eating less.. I think it's fine.

MsMarvellous Sun 21-Jul-19 13:20:38

My puppy loves carrot and broccoli too and I use that as treats and extra if I feel he needs something.

Advertisement

MissShapesMissStakes Sun 21-Jul-19 16:05:48

We use cooked carrots, green beans and broccoli sometimes to add to the boring dry food. Or sometimes put some cheese on top, occasionally some scrambled egg.

He also loves bits of apple. Bran flakes were suggested by the vet when ddog had some issue or other (possibly anal gland needed expressing - can’t remember) as that bulks up their food without many calories.

To be honest my dog would eat all day if I let him. So I go by the weights. I honestly think he’d eat so much he’d make himself sick, and then eat some more!

TheRealHepzibah Sun 21-Jul-19 20:21:00

Thanks for all the replies. Vet is happy with her and she is full of beans. I'll add in some veg and try to stop worrying! 😀

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in