Talk

Advanced search

Can a dog choke on a Prosecco cork?

(14 Posts)
Leafyhouse Thu 18-Jul-19 19:55:34

Just a tad worried, she's a little Lakeland Terrier chewing it up right now. She destroys everything, does DDog. We're running out of things for her to chew.

Chune Thu 18-Jul-19 19:58:59

I'd be more worried about bits getting lodged somewhere.

My friends dog is a chewer and she's just paid £1400 quid to have fragments of tennis ball innards removed from doggy innards.

BiteyShark Thu 18-Jul-19 20:02:09

Not something I would want my dog to chew.

averylongtimeago Thu 18-Jul-19 20:18:23

Yes she could.
Have you tried antlers- you can get them in pet shops

Mog6840 Thu 18-Jul-19 20:20:12

I don't think it's s good idea, my friends beagle almost died from getting hold of a sweet corn cob. It got stuck in her stomach.

Leafyhouse Thu 18-Jul-19 20:37:57

Well, she's shredded it to bits now. I've got her in from the garden, and I'll sweep it up tomorrow. Thanks all.

adaline Thu 18-Jul-19 21:11:44

I definitely wouldn't let mine chew it - they could cause an obstruction.

Natural chews are the best.

BrokenWing Fri 19-Jul-19 10:40:49

I wouldn't purposely give her a cork or watch her eat one.

Your problem now is how big are the bits she swallowed, her stomach wont digest cork, they will need to pass through. Any bits big enough could cause an obstruction in her intestines.

missbattenburg Fri 19-Jul-19 10:44:34

Anything that breaks in small/swallowable peices but is not easily and safely digested would get taken off Battendog here.

Cork sounds like just the kind of thing that could break into small pieces that could choke, or cause an internal obstruction if swallowed.

BiteyShark Fri 19-Jul-19 11:22:53

I think it's very easy to be a bit blasé about things they eat or chew until you have to face the possibility of an obstruction or have seen them choking.

I have been through both. The time he choked was awful. He managed to clear it himself but the time he couldn't breath was terrifying and afterwards I booked on a canine first aid course.

The obstruction was even worse. We were so lucky that we took him to the vets twice thinking it was his chronic bowel condition causing pain but during the second visit the vet felt somthing in his bowel when it should have been empty. We were also lucky that when they removed the obstruction under emergency surgery the part of his bowel that had been damaged wasn't too badly impacted that he eventually made a full recovery. That cost I think around £1500 and involved several weeks of recovery with no exercise and a poorly in pain dog.

Honestly if you have to think will that thing they are chewing cause them to choke and isn't digestible by the gut take it off them. It's not worth the risk.

newmomof1 Fri 19-Jul-19 11:30:25

Why did you let her chew it rather than take it off her?

Just go to the shop and buy her some dog chews and a rope

pigsDOfly Fri 19-Jul-19 12:53:30

Yes, I'm a bit puzzled. Why are you watching your dog chew something that has the potential to harm hers?

BrokenWing Fri 19-Jul-19 13:59:37

The more I think about the potential impact of this on a small dog I think you should phone your vet for advice if you think she has eaten any of it. You might not see any symptoms while damage is being done.

Parrakeet Sat 20-Jul-19 22:10:10

Isn't cork a natural laxative? grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »