Talk

Advanced search

Home Made Dog Biscuits

(15 Posts)
bushtailadventures Wed 17-Jul-19 20:02:17

Just after some opinions please as I haven't been a dog owner for a long time.

Would you accept/be happy to receive home made dog biscuits for your ddog? School have a couple of dogs that come in and dgd wants to make something for them. I was thinking of dog biscuits, but second guessing myself now. I would pack them well, and include an ingredients list, in case there is anything they aren't allowed.

Oh, and if you would be happy with them, do you have any recipes? Thank you

florentina1 Thu 18-Jul-19 08:59:06

I would not feed my dog something hand made. I would be concerned about hygiene and ingredients from a stranger.

katonic Thu 18-Jul-19 09:02:22

Hygiene?! My dog eats actual shit off the floor, I'm sure some home made dog biscuits are fine! It sounds like a lovely gift and I'm sure you can find some nice recipes online, maybe grain free would be a good way to go, use oats or sweet potato as a base? Liver is always a hit with dogs!

stucknoue Thu 18-Jul-19 09:05:33

All very nice but most dogs would rather eat discarded food off the floor. How about speaking to the owners first, my dog is eats anything but some have allergies or are on weight control programmes

Whitney168 Thu 18-Jul-19 09:08:28

Liver or pilchard cakes always go down well - not sure I can call it a recipe, but I usually chuck some liver (vile when liquidised LOL) or a big tin of pilchards in tomato sauce (easier) in to a food processor with some garlic granules or cloves, a couple of eggs and then enough wholemeal flour to get it to what looks vaguely cake batter-ish and then bake until it looks done.

Also do biscuits using tuna and parmesan - again, just chuck them in with the eggs and put enough flour in to get a rolling consistency.

Whitney168 Thu 18-Jul-19 09:09:02

(Also chuckling at worrying about hygiene from a kitchen that hasn't killed humans when feeding dogs ...)

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Thu 18-Jul-19 10:00:10

I'm less concerned about hygiene given my dog's tendency to lick the pavements, and more concerned about giving the dog a treat that's full of grain flour

BiteyShark Thu 18-Jul-19 10:17:36

I wouldn't because I would be concerned about what ingredients they contained irrespective of what the home made label said.

Whilst I understand my dog eats rubbish on walks I do like to know exactly what he's getting at home as some things upset his stomach.

JoxerGoesToStuttgart Thu 18-Jul-19 10:19:44

My dog has a really sensitive tummy so I wouldn’t take anything someone else had made.

Nesssie Thu 18-Jul-19 10:57:20

My dog would be very grateful!

Hygiene grin

Make sure its dog friendly pb - www.puppyleaks.com/pb-dog-treats/

namechanged2000 Thu 18-Jul-19 11:33:49

I spent ages making my dogs biscuits. The shits turned their nose up at them and then ate some bird poop on the slabs.

Laughing at hygiene comment.

missbattenburg Thu 18-Jul-19 12:53:26

Hygiene grin. Battendog rolls in fox poo, eats sheep poo and often steps in his own poo. An unwashed hand is very little threat...

OP, dehydtrated treats can be easier to make and are single ingredient. Thin slices of meat slowly cooked in a low often until all moisture is gone. Avoid the common allergens (chicken and beef) but things like turkey or duck breast are good.

That way, the owners don't need to worry about unknown ingredients.

bodgeitandscarper Thu 18-Jul-19 12:59:10

Some children in our village made and sold biscuits for the dogs trust. My lot loved them, I think the recipe is on dogs trust website. grin at the hygiene comment!

Springersrock Thu 18-Jul-19 13:40:04

My dog rolls in dead seals, eats horse shit, licks her own arse and snaffles discarded kebabs if she can get away with it. I’m not worried about hygiene.

She does get an upset tummy with certain treats though, so I would need to know what was in them

longearedbat Thu 18-Jul-19 19:12:39

Ha! Hygiene! My dog would just love biscuits made from rabbit poo. She's like a hoover in a rabbity field. Next favourite would be her own poo.
She turns her nose up at commercial biscuits.
A fox poo flavoured biscuit would be ace.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »