Talk

Advanced search

Dog poo bags

(26 Posts)
Newpupsoon Sat 13-Jul-19 09:50:21

Sorry for such a dull question but I pick up our puppy next weekend and the only thing we don’t have for her is poo bags!
Just been on Amazon and there are so many different types. Do I need tie handles? The ones on a roll or the ones in a kind of tissue box? Scented ones? A dispenser?
Please just tell me which ones to get...thanks x

LizzieMacQueen Sat 13-Jul-19 09:51:46

I rate the ones you get from Sainsburys.

lazylinguist Sat 13-Jul-19 09:52:36

I prefer tie handle ones. Scented is unnecessary. Mine come in a big pack, flat on top of each other iyswim, not in a bag or a roll.

Rassy Sat 13-Jul-19 09:54:39

I prefer the Sainsbury's ones too. They are thicker than other poo bags

whiteroseredrose Sat 13-Jul-19 09:57:02

I've just got some biodegradable ones on a roll. They're great and I feel better not using loads of plastic.

sqeakywheel Sat 13-Jul-19 09:57:07

Lizzie, I use these too. Reasonably thick and they are large.

Newpupsoon Sat 13-Jul-19 09:57:19

So then do you just put the pack in your bag or just have a few in your pockets?

BiscuitDrama Sat 13-Jul-19 09:57:36

We get either Poobagsdirect or www.amazon.co.uk/Earth-Rated-Biodegradable-Lavender-Completely/dp/B00BSYR7K8/ref=zg_bs_13154166031_1?psc=1&_encoding=UTF8&tag=mumsnetforu03-21&refRID=M2W10FVCT52TFN8KY213
From amazon. The roll is easy to stick in a pocket and they’re biodegradable and fairly thick. Never needed a tie handle although might be useful for massive poos I suppose.

LizzieMacQueen Sat 13-Jul-19 10:26:24

I have a pouch that attaches to my lead but I still carry extra in my pockets, fishing a bag out of your pocket is easier than the dispensers (to me) but knowing I have the pouch too is just an extra precaution.

You can be fined in Holland if you don't have a poo bag on you, I thought they were bringing in similar rules here?

spot102 Sat 13-Jul-19 10:42:30

I use nappy sacks available from various poundshop type outlets for £1 for around 200 it does vary. But rest assured you'll have plenty of time and poo to experiment with and pick your favourite option!!

Walney Sat 13-Jul-19 11:41:54

I just use basics type nappy bags and make sure I always have some in my bag. They have tie handles which are very useful.

SlothMama Sat 13-Jul-19 12:28:48

I buy the Beco rolls which come on a roll, if you have a flexi lead you can buy an attachment for them to go into. But they also fit in the dispenser for my dicky bag. They are strong and biodegradable which for me is a must. I don’t bother with scented ones, just don’t bother with cheap bags. Before I bought Beco ones my hands went through cheap bags when I was picking up poo envy

MsMightyTitanAndHerTroubadours Sat 13-Jul-19 12:39:32

@Newpupsoon So then do you just put the pack in your bag or just have a few in your pockets?

you will end up with poobags in all pockets of all coats, all jeans, all handbags, all car door pockets

I found poo bags in a handbag when we had not had a dog for almost a year.

We buy tesco nappy sacks, they could be a bit thicker but they are good enough.

Madbengalmum Sat 13-Jul-19 12:42:59

The earth rated ones mentioned earlier are brilliant, strong and cut down on plastic too.

MissShapesMissStakes Sat 13-Jul-19 13:08:58

I use EcoVibe ones. They are big and never had one break. Also made of cornstarch which breaks down so no plastic.

As pp said - you will end up with poo bags in every pocket and bag you have. I had a dispenser but it’s just more bulk. Much easier to have a few in your pocket.

pigsDOfly Sat 13-Jul-19 13:09:19

A lot of people use nappy sacks, they're incredibly cheap from pound store but they are see through and probably not that strong.

I buy mine from pets at home, they're strong and not see through. 200 for £1.50.

Buying with a dispenser is a more expensive way of buying them. I've had dispensers in the past and found them a bit of a nuisance and a bit fiddly tbh. I just take a handful out of the bag and either stick them in the bag I have for such things or in a pocket. As pp said you'll find you end up with poo bags in every handbag and pocket you own.

Whatever you buy, tie handles are a must. I didn't realise they were made without tie handles.

rideawhiteswan Sat 13-Jul-19 13:12:11

I use basics nappy bags, they are fine even for my labrador's large poos!
I've never had a problem with them.

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Sat 13-Jul-19 18:00:10

I buy the Beco ones on a roll as they're biodegradable, and I find having a dispenser attached to the lead very convenient because I can never forget to bring them

babyblackbird Sat 13-Jul-19 20:41:19

I buy them in bulk from Amazon -box of 1000 that usually last over a year for £24.00 - Scot pet shop ones . V thick and bio degradable. Winner.

MarleyMooChick Sun 14-Jul-19 22:30:34

I second Pets at Home own make & just put a few in a pocket when go out

AllGoodDogs Sun 14-Jul-19 22:41:53

I have this little bag from Amazon which I take every walk. It has a little zip pocket on the side for a roll of bags which I find much easier than having loose bags everywhere. I buy a pack of cheapo nappy sacks or poo bags from wherever to keep by the back door for any poos in the garden. The bags on rolls don't seem to have tie handles so I make sure to buy the bigger bags as you need the space at the top to tie a knot in. I only have a very small dog though so don't need to pick up huge turds.

billybagpuss Mon 15-Jul-19 07:43:55

I have the same bag, it’s brilliant but I put a roll of poo bags in the net section at the front as I have clickers, whistle, ball and usually my phone and in winter a torch in the bag itself

BeerandBiscuits Mon 15-Jul-19 08:56:45

I won't risk using nappy sacks again after the horror of bag splitting and having to walk 2 miles home with hand covered in poo shock.
Now use these.

PookieDo Wed 17-Jul-19 09:15:34

I got annoyed with the one that attaches to the lead with them on a roll as it makes a clacking noise when you walk along. I tend to pick up the biodegradable ones and always tie handle! I always take 3 out in my pocket when we walk but I am forever finding them in all my bags and the car. I now use them for disposing of sanitary towels too

spiderlight Thu 18-Jul-19 12:17:19

We used to just buy supermarkey nappy sacks (never the budget ones though because they split), but now we bulk buy the Beco bags from TKMaxx, of all places! Works out cheaper and they're more environmentally friendly.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »