Talk

Advanced search

Doggy food

(20 Posts)
Lovemusic33 Sat 13-Jul-19 08:24:20

Ddog has been on a mixture of good quality wet food and a bit of dry since I got him home a couple weeks ago, he’s a rescue and was underweight but is now gaining. Yesterday he was sick on a short journey home from the vets which is unlike him but I put it down to travel sickness and stress from his vaccinations but today he was randomly sick again a hour after eating. I’m wondering if the food is too rich for him? He’s not that interested I food and not keen on dry food (will just pick at it). I haven’t got the room to raw feed , no freezer/fridge space and I don’t want raw food hanging around due to a dc who licks everything (ASD). Should I put him back on just dry food or maybe feed him smaller meals more often? At the moment he’s having 2 meals a day plus a few treats.

billybagpuss Sat 13-Jul-19 08:29:13

We use canagan, it’s expensive but very good quality and I definitely prefer picking up my dogs poo to any others (I often pick up the random poos left by other people)

Lovemusic33 Sat 13-Jul-19 08:30:24

Thanks billy I shall have a look, he’s not a big dog so I don’t mind spending a bit more on quality food as he doesn’t eat large amounts.

billybagpuss Sat 13-Jul-19 08:44:31

Just reread your post and he is still going to be settling in. Keep the food pretty bland for a few days and don’t try any major changes. We had similar issues when we brought billypup home the breeder sent her with adult food which was too rich, the vet advised very small meals but very bland. We switched to canagan quicker than we intended because of this you should do it gradually over a couple of weeks and it took a few days for her to settle.

Lovemusic33 Sat 13-Jul-19 08:50:53

The food he is on says from 8 weeks, it’s pretty much just meat, rice and veg but I’m guessing duck is quite a rich meat?

I have ordered a free trail of food from tails to try. He was on dry food when I picked him up but he was underweight and just picking at the food. He has gained almost 1kg since I brought him home, I gradually started adding the wet food to his dry food. He’s quite energetic in the mornings so this probably isn’t helping him digest his breakfast.

billybagpuss Sat 13-Jul-19 08:54:59

We usually walk first feed afterwards, it also makes her more obedient on the walk as she will come for treats

billybagpuss Sat 13-Jul-19 08:55:33

Then she’ll have a nap so yes the jumping around might not be helping

Lovemusic33 Sat 13-Jul-19 09:03:17

I will try feeding later, it’s just we are awake at 6am so I usually feed when we are having breakfast around 7.30am. I don’t think he will mind waiting though as he’s not that bothered about food, doesn’t always eat it in one go anyway.

billybagpuss Sat 13-Jul-19 09:07:43

Not bothered about food is a concept billypup just doesn’t understand she’s a greedy muppet

Lovemusic33 Sat 13-Jul-19 14:56:43

He’s really fussy which is why I tried the wet food. I can give him a treat and he drops it on the floor and looks at me in disgust, someone even tried giving him sausage on a walk the other day and he turned his nose up at it. I have just been to pets at home and spent a fortune on different treats and biscuits to try and find something he likes that I can use for training.

florentina1 Sat 13-Jul-19 15:19:09

We feed our stressed rescue three times a day. A little bit of dry food in the morning. Then two small feeds at lunchtime and evening. She has a delicate tummy and this has really helped her digestion. The best result is that she has firm poos at the same time every day. Very rarely sick, usually after swimming in the river

pigsDOfly Sat 13-Jul-19 17:26:43

I wouldn't start changing his food at the moment, there's an awful lot going on for him, give him a chance to settle in.

If he's not that interested in his food, and he's being sick after eating I'd try feeding him slightly less food.

Have you been told how much to feed him by the vet or the rescue, or are you going by the advice on the food packet? Food manufactures always suggest far more than most dogs need.

pigsDOfly Sat 13-Jul-19 17:28:46

Also are you giving him the treats in addition to his food or are you including the treats in his food total.

Too many treats and he might not actually be hungry when it comes to meal times.

billybagpuss Sat 13-Jul-19 19:10:23

If he's that disinterested in food, you may need to be 'really exciting' and use toys for training. I know it would be a complete shock if I had to try and train a dog without food, I wouldn't know where to start.

Lovemusic33 Sat 13-Jul-19 20:25:07

pigs, I’m going by what I used to feed my old dog which was a similar size/breed. He is underweight as was caged with the rest of his litter before being rescued, I’m guessing because he’s the quiet one that he didn’t get much food. He has gained 1kg in just over a week but I can still see his ribs. I will try feeding him 3+smaller meals.

He does have small treats, he had a bit of peanut butter on his lick mat and a few dog biscuits but he doesn’t always eat them.

Toys are hit and miss too, not interested in tennis balls but likes a squeaky toy (until he destroys it), his favourite thing is socks 🤣

Despite him not being interested in food he has been quite easy to train as he responds well to praise and attention (strokes and belly rubs).

pigsDOfly Sat 13-Jul-19 22:27:28

Ah okay, it was just a thought.

The food being too rich might be an issue. My dog was on Canagan for a while, on the advice of a vet, and it was way too rich for her, as it turned out.

PookieDo Wed 17-Jul-19 09:20:20

Mine only seems to have normal poo on Lily’s Kitchen dry food

He will pick at it but over the course of a day actually eat a fair bit so I leave it out. He never eats loads in one go. Mine likes to take every individual biscuit and walk away to eat it over my rug angry

Also a lot of treats upset my Ddog’s stomach, I usually just stick to gravy bones as they seem to be the only ones that don’t!

StillMedusa Wed 17-Jul-19 09:57:48

Similar issues here. New pup loves wet food but isn't keen on the dry..and won't touch it in a bowl..I have to scatter bits and she chases them and then eats a few. I'm happy to feed wet as my cats don't like dry either, but I'd like her to crunch a bit for her teeth!

I'm sending for some samples to see if there is any she prefers smile

Lovemusic33 Wed 17-Jul-19 11:11:15

still what samples are you getting, I have signed up to tails free trial (must cancel before they charge me for next months), I think “fish for dogs” do free samples, my old dog used to like their food.

Lovemusic33 Wed 17-Jul-19 11:12:57

Just to add, my dogs poo seems fine what ever he it’s, he’s just throwing up occasionally on the wet food, maybe because he eats it quicker and then bounces around too much.

We are struggling with travel sickness too and the dry food is much easier to clean up if he’s sick in the car 🤢

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »