Talk

Advanced search

Dog harness with handle on top

(21 Posts)
wavingfuriously Fri 12-Jul-19 16:19:02

anyone use harness with handle on top for pulling pup out of situations quickly please? not high mountaineering but we need a tough harness with handle on top for the hills just for maintaining safety if dog gets in a pickle somewhere and needs to be extracted quickly ..

Please?.. thanks

missbattenburg Fri 12-Jul-19 16:21:48

Ruffwear do a few. Not cheap, but I have some other ruffwear stuff and it is solidly built.

ruffwear.co.uk/collections/dog-harnesses

BorderlineExperimental Fri 12-Jul-19 16:22:32

The Ruffwear Webmaster is great for that sort of thing. I use them for hoiking my whippets over awkward stiles.

I think Indi-Dog can put handles on their Houdini harnesses as well.

LittleBlonde27 Fri 12-Jul-19 16:24:52

We use Julius K-9 harnesses on both our girls. Good, sturdy harnesses with handles on top b

PutyourtoponTrevor Fri 12-Jul-19 17:34:52

Julius K-9 here too, it's brilliant

Sooverthemill Fri 12-Jul-19 17:38:20

Ruffmaster harnesses are great

Floralnomad Fri 12-Jul-19 17:40:17

I have indi Houdini harnesses , no handle but I’m sure you could attach one . I have in the past just grabbed him by the top of it and lifted him out of harms way and because of the design ( 2 straps) it stayed in place perfectly and didn’t seem to do any damage to dog or harness . I have had the K9 type before but the design with the strap across the front is more restrictive for the dog and I also had problems with an actual K9 with the straps loosening when he ran . I must say the company were less than helpful when I complained which is when I swapped to Indi dog , who are very helpful .

spot102 Fri 12-Jul-19 23:41:15

Several years ago I bought a hurtta harness for my semi disabled dog. She wore it almost full time for a year or so (till she died, it didn't wear out) and it was used to help with her mobility, including lifting her around. Not sure what model it was, but just checked on eBay and looked like an outdoor active. Anyway it was brilliant, excellent quality. They also do another one with two straps underneath, which may be more suitable for you, but I have no experience of it. Did buy a similar cheaper one, but some of the stitching went after very little use.

TropicPlunder Fri 12-Jul-19 23:49:03

We use a ruffwear webmaster. It's great for hoiking! It has an extra belly strap, so feels really secure when lifting. I've hoiked mine out of rivers (jumped in, steep bank) and back onto a paddle board from a lake

SlothMama Sat 13-Jul-19 12:31:32

Please don’t buy the Julius k9 harness with the front chest strap. It restricts a dogs movement and can cause issues. There was research done on them recently.

stucknoue Sat 13-Jul-19 12:40:12

Hunta ones are good

dudsville Sat 13-Jul-19 12:53:08

I just came on to recommend ruffwear. All ours wear their harnesses when I discovered the brand a while back. We don't have the version you are looking for but our harnesses get daily use, are frequently washed, and are still strong several years on.

wavingfuriously Sat 13-Jul-19 18:52:47

just reading all the helpful messages now!...thanks so much peeps..

wavingfuriously Sat 13-Jul-19 18:55:10

@LittleBlonde27 hi thanks for advice are those Julius K-9 harnesses top strap attached by velcro please or are they stitched on ? cheers!

wavingfuriously Sat 13-Jul-19 18:57:16

@SlothMama thanks for that warning...yes i had heard something

wavingfuriously Sat 13-Jul-19 19:00:17

@spot102 thanks for telling me this ..hurrta sound good and glad it was so useful for your dog

wavingfuriously Sat 13-Jul-19 19:07:27

Can't thank everyone individually but it's been great to get opinions..mr dog is precious part of family we've got to keep him safe ! [smil]

wavingfuriously Sat 13-Jul-19 19:07:55

smile

Bookworm4 Sat 13-Jul-19 19:09:11

Julius K9; very tough I can lift my staffy with it,handle is stitched on.

WiggleButt Thu 18-Jul-19 19:01:00

Just another voice to add to the RuffWear Webmaster love in case Mr Dog hasn't been treated to a new harness yet. We've recently upgraded ours for our 11 month old Aussie and it's brilliant. Long enough down the body that it doesn't put all of the force through his shoulders if you lift him due to the extra strap, the handles (one facing down the body and a smaller one facing across) are extremely well stitched on, and it's a Y front so no shoulder restriction when he moves.

wavingfuriously Thu 18-Jul-19 19:34:47

@WiggleButt yep thanks! just purchased ruffwear one yest and waiting on the post.. been so helpful to get all these opinions smile thanks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »