Talk

Advanced search

Six month old puppy - undescended testicle

(7 Posts)
amiapropermum Mon 08-Jul-19 21:49:35

A friend of mine has a six-month old male lab puppy. He has only one descended testicle - has anyone experienced this before? She will be asking the vet - just looking for experiences.

What the chances of the other one dropping? She plans to neuter him in due course but is concerned about the possibility of the undescended one becoming dangerous or cancerous.

OP’s posts: |
OverFedStanley Mon 08-Jul-19 22:05:50

Pretty common. I have had several dogs with undescended testicles.

Vets told me that they would not drop after 6 months but one dogs dropped at 9 month.

Your friend will be encouraged to have the dog castrated asap as their in an increase risk of cancer. I agree that they do need to be removed but this does not have to be a rushed decision. There is no major risk of it turning cancerous in a matter of months if concerned you can have an ultrasound but no need for this for at least 2 years.

I am awkward but had only the undecended testicle removed (as it happened the dog needed an op for an ear injury so did it at the same time) at 12 months. I asked for the other testicle to remain until the dog was fully grown so at least 2 years of age. Other dogs have kept their testicle but again I researched a vet who gave both dogs a vasectomy. It is important not to breed from them.

amiapropermum Mon 08-Jul-19 22:18:03

Thank you - very helpful reply!

Darkq Tue 09-Jul-19 07:30:50

My current dog was late descending his second testicle, can't remember how old he was when it finally came down but it was around 6-9 months.

As the previous poster said there is an increased risk if it doesn't drop but that's a bit later on. Personal if it happened to another of my dogs in the future I wouldn't consider surgery until after 12 months.

yetwig Tue 09-Jul-19 09:04:26

My 20 month old collie has an undesended testical, my vet advised to wait until he was 2yrs old, so he was fully mature. They think they can feel the other in his groin, so fingers crossed they won't have to go fishing.

MissShapesMissStakes Tue 09-Jul-19 10:52:55

My dog also had this at six months. It had dropped by 7-8 months. He has been castrated now.

amiapropermum Tue 09-Jul-19 14:39:52

Thanks everybody. Appreciate the replies

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in