Advocate flea treatment not working?

(5 Posts)
Terriere Sun 07-Jul-19 22:26:59

Poor ddog is itching constantly and I can see bites all over his legs and tummy. I've found 4 fleas on him today - granted they were easy to catch but he's been treated with Advocate monthly since Feb and usually doesn't have any problem.

Anyone know any more effective treatments? I really feel for him sad

OP’s posts: |
crimsonlake Sun 07-Jul-19 22:36:40

Not a dog but a kitten. I purchased Frontline after a lengthy discussion with an assistant at Pets at Home. I wanted to purchase Advantage flea treatment but she wanted to know kittens weight. Since I was not sure she would not let me have it. I was furious, but polite and ended up with Frontline. I used it that night and I could still see fleas on her the following evening. In despair I decided to use another dose since I assumed I must have applied it incorrectly. Neither doses have worked and apart from the horror of still having fleas, it has been a costly waste of time. I even checked the date on the box as I thought perhaps it was out of date. One thing which I noticed upon application is that neither of my cats flinched when I applied it, the older cat usually goes crazy.

Desra Sun 07-Jul-19 22:41:20

Fleas and ticks have apparently been worse this year due to the mild winter. We use Bravecto which is given orally this year as we found Advocate or Frontline didn’t work as well last year.

Patchworksack Sun 07-Jul-19 22:48:31

Treat the house, and the car, with a spray containing permethrin and an insect growth regulator like S-methoprene. The fleas are easy to catch because the Advocate is working to kill them off, you need to address where they are coming from.

Terriere Sun 07-Jul-19 23:38:11

Thanks for that smile

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in