Have you ever had to re-home your dog?

(4 Posts)
ToasterCrumbs Wed 26-Jun-19 14:02:23

And did you get another dog afterwards?

18 months ago I gave a rescue dog back after just one month of having them. The rescue I got her from agreed that the fit wasn't right (they didn't spot a few things behaviour wise) and thank goodness she found a new home more suited to her and she settled in wonderfully.

It was such a heartbreaking, awful decision and to be honest a bloody tough month of having her, that I didn't consider another dog again for fear of it happening again.

Has anyone out there had to return a rescue or a puppy and gone on to buy or adopt another dog and have a better outcome?

OP’s posts: |
Dontgiveamonkeys1350 Thu 27-Jun-19 06:51:02

I had to. Most awful few months. But. Even the behaviourist , vet and the re homing place said it was the right thing to do ( long story behind it )

I have to say it has put me off. I love dogs and dog sit and love dogs so much. But it has put me off. What if I had to do it again !!!! I know the chances of it happening the same again are min. But I couldn’t go through the heartache again.

spot102 Thu 27-Jun-19 06:56:43

We had one PTS due to behaviour issues (biting) but was more of a re-home than rescue. To be fair, we already had 2nd dog but she also had issues, but more predictable, so died normally. Current dogs no major issues. They are all different so take heart, probably best to check that you are doing the right things, just for peace of mind, but sometimes you get one that you just can't cope with in your circumstances

Lovemusic33 Thu 27-Jun-19 20:36:38

I did 2 years ago. We tried many things with him but it got to the point where my kids would avoid coming downstairs and they couldn’t have friends over. He wasn’t aggressive he was just very high energy. He would whine all day despite me walking him 5k twice a day. I got lots of great advice on here. I had another dog at the time and his behaviour was also upsetting her. We sent him back to the rescue in hope he would find a working home, I still feel guilty.

Since then my other dog has passed away and now we are rescuing another dog (small cross breed).

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in