Puppy not eating

(4 Posts)
CleverQuacks Tue 25-Jun-19 18:19:57

I bought my Shihtzu puppy home on Friday. She is 9 weeks old. Since she has been home, she has eaten very little. Only about a mouth full at each meal. I am feeding her the same as the breeder fed her. I do want to change her food because the food she is on isn’t great quality but wanted to wait until she has settled in. I have a vet appointment for her tomorrow morning to discuss this but wondered if there is anything I should be doing tonight?

OP’s posts: |
BiteyShark Tue 25-Jun-19 18:41:00

Are you feeding kibble?

If so kibble really isn't very exciting to a dog. My dog had never been food orientated and feeding him kibble was a constant battle to get him to eat (and then later we discovered it was also quite harsh to digest).

You could try a good quality wet food which will be stinky and much more appetising for her.

allaboutdogfood.co.uk is great for comparing different brands, prices and importantly quality. I feed at least 60-70% named meat (some brands have very little meat content).

Nala18 Wed 26-Jun-19 14:49:23

Is she okay OP?

Pringle89 Wed 26-Jun-19 17:29:44

Our pup was like this, I guess it’s the change and they lose their appetite, we ended up boiling up some chicken with carrot and mushing it up and hand feeding, he loved it! Then ended up gradually swapping back to previous food once he was eating regularly x

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in