My dog and the car

(6 Posts)
Theoscargoesto Tue 25-Jun-19 11:19:28

I have a 15 month puppy. Until recently she;s been brilliant in the car (on journeys, I don't just leave her there!). However, in the last few days, when we have been on a couple of longer journeys, she's started to pant, and yawn. She looks uncomfortable, unsettled. She isn't sick, she doesn't cry or whine or bark, mostly just pants. .

I have made sure the car is cool (thank goodness for air-con) and if I stop and let her out, she's happy to get out, sometimes she has needed a wee or a poo (but not every time), she'll have a 5 minute wander then be happy to get back into the car (so she doesn't seem to have an aversion to it).

Before a long journey I always take her on a long walk somewhere she can have a run so she's tired on the car, and for a long journey I plan stops where she can have a proper stretch of her legs, and there are times when, if necessary, I can stop every half hour or so. But equally, I'm not sure there is a need to do that, and sometimes (like when stuck in stop start traffic on the M5 last week) it's just not possible to do that.

Has anyone any idea what's going on, and how to make her more comfortable when we travel? Not travelling isn't an option really, I've arranged UK holidays so we can take her with us and I don't want her to hate the car.

OP’s posts: |
cheeseislife8 Tue 25-Jun-19 11:56:44

If she's starting to hate the car, maybe make small journeys with fun destinations so she begins to associate getting in the car with enjoyment. The panting and yawning are signs of discomfort, so during the journey it might be worth taking her favourite toy or blanket to make her feel at home too

MrsMozartMkII Tue 25-Jun-19 12:00:58

She sounds stressed.

Ditto the taking her blanket or toy.

What size dog is she? Can she see out of the window? Is it as cool where she is as where you are?

adaline Tue 25-Jun-19 12:14:44

It's been quite warm and muggy the last few days.

Is there any breeze in the car? Not air con, but an actual breeze coming through?

Theoscargoesto Tue 25-Jun-19 13:12:40

Thank you for the replies. Yes, I agree she seems stressed, which is why I am surprised she;s happy to get back into the car if we stop (but I don't want to get to the stage where she's not). We do do shorter journeys to nice walks etc, and she's ok in the car then. Maybe I need to keep an eye on how far into a journey it happens.

Thanks too for the ideas, she can't see out (not sure how I can change that, as she's quite small) and I can put a favourite toy and blanket in if we travel far.

I haven't checked if it's as cool in the back as the front of the car, but I will do that, and Adaline thanks, I'll think about open windows too.

OP’s posts: |
adaline Tue 25-Jun-19 13:17:25

Mine definitely struggles in the heat - I have air con but he much prefers an open window!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in