How do you know if your dog is happy?

(7 Posts)
BigRedDoor Wed 19-Jun-19 14:39:54

Silly question maybe but I’m not sure our dog is happy. She is nearly 9, had her since she was 4. Very resilient when it comes to pain, has lots of health issues the latest of which is a problem with her teeth which must be sore (can’t risk an op to clean them because of her heart murmur).

She stays in her bed nearly all day. Will go on a walk but doesn’t want to be out for long. Doesn’t greet me or visitors coming through the door like she used to. Takes or leaves her food, does eat but not racing to gobble down breakfast, might not eat it until 1-3pm. Likes sitting next to anyone for cuddles. Likes sniffing / barking at invisible stuff in the garden. Rarely plays with a toy. Vet says she is probably getting a bit senile. I posted recently as she was barking at night, that’s now solved thankfully.

I just can’t tell if she is happy / indifferent / in mild pain. She’s not a bouncy bundle of joy like people describe. Any ideas from you lovely doghouse people?

OP’s posts: |
MalloryLaurel Wed 19-Jun-19 15:33:38

She sounds like she has a nice life and is content. The occasions when she doesn't eat could be pain from her teeth. We had a cat who had arthritis and he took Yumove cat. It had such a good result I started taking the human version for back pain! One of the ingredients, ( the mussels, I think) has pain relief properties. I've just checked and they do Yumove dog. I really recommend them for pain relief and joint care. The short walks suggested to me that she might have aching joints.

joystir59 Wed 19-Jun-19 15:36:58

Tooth ache would make anyone miserable OP. Plus heart murmur must have an impact on her energy levels I would have thought. Is there a plan to sort out her teeth? I've seen dogs bounce back to life after dental work.

Finfintytint Wed 19-Jun-19 15:39:18

My dog has a heart murmur and has had dental work done. Speak to your vet.

BigRedDoor Wed 19-Jun-19 15:53:25

It was the vet that thought dental work under sedation would be risky given her heart condition. She does eat, but doesn’t leap for her food at the moment.

BigRedDoor Wed 19-Jun-19 15:54:08

I’ll look into Yumove thank you

Lovemusic33 Wed 19-Jun-19 16:24:39

What breed is she? My dog started getting like this around the same age, slept more and wasn’t s playful. Might be worth risking the dental work as you don’t want her in pain, it will only get worse.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in