Talk

Advanced search

Temporary sleeping next to crate

(9 Posts)
Cinders29 Mon 17-Jun-19 19:32:18

Hey!

So we picked up our new Labrador pup on Friday, since then I’ve camped out on sofa next to his crate. He’s settled much better than I anticipated tbh ( but probably because he knows I’m there ) last night he slept from 10.30 was up at 2.30 for a wee and poo and then straight back to sleep until half past 6.

My question is; how many nights do you advise I sleep next to him? My thinking is enough to know exactly how many hours he tends to hold it for , and then setting an alarm to wake up and let him out. However, I don’t want to get him too used to having me there so is it best I start sleeping upstairs sooner rather than later ?

OP’s posts: |
Pringle89 Tue 18-Jun-19 06:55:06

We slept downstairs for about a week I think and then did exactly what you said with setting an alarm, then if they don’t wake before your alarm goes off the next night put the alarm forward 15 mins and so on until (hopefully) you won’t need to get up in the night anymore!

ThatsUnusual Tue 18-Jun-19 08:56:23

It depends on the dog, sometimes it's only a few nights but it can take a few weeks. I just posted on another thread, for me the key is moving away gradually - until they're settling themselves with you a few meters away. Then only when they show no signs of distress can you confidently go upstairs!

Nettleskeins Tue 18-Jun-19 13:18:58

For a week I slept next to the crate. For a few days he could see me, then it was just out of the sight but I could put my finger through the bars and reassure (no face)
Then it was the room next door for a week.
Then it was a week upstairs, listening out/on red alert for sqwalks.
There were actually no sqwawks. He only surfaced when I raced downstairs guiltily at 7am, having been put down at 11/12pm. And then he stretched it.

He was reassured by my prescence for a week or so, fell in love with his crate, and Bob's your uncle!!! No howling, not crying, no guilt...

Nettleskeins Tue 18-Jun-19 13:20:08

btw I tried the same technique with new kittens many years ago, so I know it works...(minus the crate)

Cinders29 Wed 19-Jun-19 08:33:59

I’m going to give sleeping upstairs a go.... I normally sleep with my son due to epilepsy - his dads been sleeping with him but is moaning he hates sleeping in there 🙄 the dog is doing really well tbf ... he seems to go from half 10 until 4 then up at half 6. This morning i woke up at 6.45 and he was just sat there , not making a noise bless him, so will see how it goes 😬 thanks everyone

OP’s posts: |
emmaluggs Wed 19-Jun-19 08:37:16

I did it for a week, but moving the bed further and further away each night

UrsulaPandress Wed 19-Jun-19 08:37:48

What new hell is this?

We left pup in his cage from first night. Whined a bit. Growled at me on the first morning when he didn't recognise me then was fine from there on. Used to go in his open cage to snooze during the day so clearly content with it.

QOD Wed 19-Jun-19 08:50:29

My current view 😂
I’m in bed still

We did it in reverse, the Gwen Bailey book talked about a box (she didn’t do crate training but we followed her directions) next to you bed and gradually moved away
Worked brilliantly. And then we moved. In winter and it was COLD and she’s tiny and precious and somehow her crate has stayed next to my side of the bed 😂
It’s on top of another crate (bunk crates 😂) and she comes out for kisses in the night.
My gal

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in