How to safely restrain dog to look at injury?!

(8 Posts)
Pringle89 Mon 17-Jun-19 18:10:11

My dog has a injury under his chin, it has been bleeding but now stopped, he’s very fluffy so almost impossible to see what it is or how big it is - no idea how he did this btw! Only been in the garden when we noticed.

Problem is as it’s under his chin he will not let you look, need to part the fur to have a proper look and it’s impossible to get more than a split second glance, i did spray the area under the shower to wash some blood away and have a clearer look with wet fur but didn’t help!

I don’t want a vet visit for potentially a small cut, anyone have any tips on how to restrain? I’ve tried treats etc but that makes worse as he won’t keep his head still! 😬

OP’s posts: |
Pringle89 Mon 17-Jun-19 18:11:22

Also forgot to say doesn’t seem to be bothering him at all...other then when we keep shining our phone torches at him to try and get a look 😂

Wolfiefan Mon 17-Jun-19 18:16:22

How big is your dog? One to hold and one to look?
Stinky treat held in the air?

OverFedStanley Mon 17-Jun-19 18:34:31

Will he lie on his side on the floor?

Honeyroar Mon 17-Jun-19 21:31:59

Id sit on a chair and sit him down between your legs (with his back to you and the chair and your legs either side of him and your feet in front of his chest, then manoeuvre his head where you need him, with lots of vocal praise and reassurance. Be as quick as you can and fuss him afterwards.

Honeyroar Mon 17-Jun-19 21:34:20

Ps, the above is for a big/medium sized dogs. With a little dog I'd sit it on my knee with its back to my torso.

Pringle89 Tue 18-Jun-19 06:52:26

Managed to have a quick peek - one of us holding and one standing above with peanut butter on our fingers 😂 still couldn’t see the actual injury as covered with a small piece of bloody matter fur but looks very small so that’s reassured me for now!

Advertisement

Funf Sat 22-Jun-19 21:58:44

Part of our dogs play is to examine her like the vet would if you slowly introduce this now it can help in future, teeth, toes feet, bum doggy bits ears etc

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in