Activities for injured dog?

(8 Posts)
ByTheStarryNight Mon 17-Jun-19 15:09:54

Ddog is 5 months old and on enforced house/garden arrest for a few weeks after injuring his paw. Can you suggest activities he can do in the house or garden that might wear him out mentally? He's so bored and brimming with puppy energy smile

He's not allowed to get wet, which added an additional layer of challenge in the rain last week and we all went a bit stir crazy.

I am using kongs, though that only extends eating time from 90 seconds (bowl) to 5 minutes (frozen kong)... He's a labrador so eating is always done at top speed!

Any ideas to keep him entertained would be very welcome.

OP’s posts: |
AvocadosBeforeMortgages Mon 17-Jun-19 15:18:45

Have you joined the Canine Enrichment Facebook group? Lots of good ideas on there if you search key terms like "crate rest"

OrchidInTheSun Mon 17-Jun-19 15:23:22

Get a cardboard box, fill it with toys/old towels/scrunched up paper and scatter treats through it then close the lid.

Make ice lollies with stock and stick a carrot or bit of broccoli in them as the stick

Play hide and seek games with training treats. Shut your dog in a room, hide treats all over the place, let him out to find them.

Loads more ideas on canine enrichment as the pp says

ByTheStarryNight Mon 17-Jun-19 15:26:47

Great, thank you. I'll search it out now

Wolfiefan Mon 17-Jun-19 15:30:43

Paw injuries are a bloody nightmare to heal. We used boots. Muttluks with plastic inner!
Brain games and training sessions help tire them out. Hope it heals soon.

ByTheStarryNight Tue 18-Jun-19 21:28:13

Thank you Wolfiefan, I've tried some boots but he's still a puppy so they tend to fly off with his exuberant gangly legged running grin
It's somewhat like having a toddler with chickenpox. Quarantined, bored, and full of mischief. But Peppa Pig doesn't work as a distraction!

Wolfiefan Tue 18-Jun-19 21:51:03

Toddlers are also less likely to chew through walls if they can’t get out. grin

Advertisement

missbattenburg Tue 18-Jun-19 21:58:08

There's a book called 'No walks? No worries!' With ideas and tips for just this kind of scenario. Might be worth checking out?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in