Dog licking cat and whining

(13 Posts)
Lougle Thu 13-Jun-19 21:14:03

We've had our (rescue) dog 4 years now. He has suddenly become obsessed with one of our cats. He licks her head and back, then whines quietly, watching her sleep. When she gets up, he sometimes follows her to give her a lick. When he's whining, he's looking very alert, like he's watching over her.

She's quite tolerant of it (swipes him gently when she's had enough), but is there a reason? She's spayed. He's entire.

OP’s posts: |
longearedbat Thu 13-Jun-19 21:56:06

It sounds like fruity behaviour to me!

SummerSix Fri 14-Jun-19 06:13:58

Is he licking her all over?

Dry humping?

Also rescues dont usually adopt a dog out entire, its bad practice unless a puppy. And with a puppy theres always a contract to state you must get him snipped at or before a certain age.

Lougle Fri 14-Jun-19 07:47:27

He was left entire after careful assessment of his temperament, etc. The rescue I got him from always assesses the dog to decide if neutering is in their best interests. My father got a dog from the same rescue and he was neutered before rehoming.

He's not dry humping the cat, but he is licking her quite thoroughly! He's always licked her head occasionally (he's a GSD X Retriever, so he has a big tongue), but he's never been quite so attentive. He doesn't lick or follow our male cat.

Xiaoxiong Fri 14-Jun-19 08:09:44

Is the cat poorly at all?

WorkingItOutAsIGo Fri 14-Jun-19 08:12:38

Now you have said GSD, I would be taking my cat for a vet check up. They have the most extraordinary sense for something not being right.

Lougle Fri 14-Jun-19 08:22:16

DH did say that he wondered if she was ill and he could sense it. She seems her usual self, but perhaps it would be worth making an appointment. It just sounds so silly, doesn't it? "What's wrong, Lougle?" "Well, my dog is licking her and whining..."

Advertisement

Fucksandflowers Fri 14-Jun-19 10:21:20

My suspicion would the cat is sick in some way that isn’t immediately obvious yet.

mrsjoyfulprizeforraffiawork Fri 14-Jun-19 15:07:45

I would take the cat to the vet too. A man who lives with me has a miniature English bull terrier who suddenly started licking obsessively at the side of owner's neck continuously every time they were both sat on the sofa. He thought he'd better go to the GP and throat cancer was discovered, fortunately in time to be successfully treated.

WorkingItOutAsIGo Fri 14-Jun-19 15:41:54

We were once visiting friends with a pool and my DH was recovering from a big but well enough to swim in the sunshine. My friends GSDs would not let DH go in the pool! They didn’t mind the rest of us, but him they stood in front of when he was about to get in to try and stop him. So I think they can tell if you are ill.

Nesssie Fri 14-Jun-19 15:43:05

I don't any rescue that would rehome an entire dog. That's shocking and very irresponsible.

S1naidSucks Fri 14-Jun-19 15:46:54

The dog could smell an infection, such as teeth or ears, so if you take her to the vet, make sure they check them thoroughly first. You don’t want them to run a battery of expensive blood tests before doing that. Then decide with the vet, the next action you want to take. I do think your kitty could be unwell, but cats mask illness very well. I hope we’re proved wrong and he’s just in love. smile

Lougle Sat 15-Jun-19 20:29:40

Thanks for all your thoughts. I'll get the cat booked in with the vet.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in