Puppy Vs Adult Personality

(17 Posts)
GatsbyWasntGreat Tue 11-Jun-19 14:36:00

Those of you that have had dogs from when they're 6/7 months old and younger, did your dog's personality differ much from their puppyhood to adult? Did they change characteristics significantly at all? Or by 6/7 months are they pretty much 'themselves'?

Just wondering if my (rescue) 6 month old will be as cuddly and affectionate once he's an adult! Hopefully he'll be less of a mad handful once he matures though...

grin

OP’s posts: |
curiositycreature Tue 11-Jun-19 14:53:50

He’s definitely the same dog just a lot more chilled (thank goodness). He is still very loving! Potentially more so....

GatsbyWasntGreat Tue 11-Jun-19 15:15:47

That's lovely! When did he start chilling out?

counting the days

adaline Tue 11-Jun-19 15:33:45

Mine is pretty much the same, just much calmer! He's still only 16 months but visibly calmer and better mannered than he was as a younger puppy.

GrumpyMiddleAgedWoman Tue 11-Jun-19 19:57:57

Some things change and some don't. Our young dog was a hugely confident and jolly puppy and is just the same a couple of years on. She has always been quite convinced that she has a cracking sense of humour, and has always loved people and other dogs.

However, she's just starting to hit social maturity and has begun to become protective of 'her' territory, so now barks at passers-by (not a lot, just so we're informed). She's getting just a little aloof with strangers (other things can now matter more than charming a new person) but the basic friendliness is still there.

IME neutering young can block a dog's mental development, though, so she might have been different if we'd had her done at 6mo like the vet suggested.

Cath2907 Tue 11-Jun-19 20:15:40

He chilled. He also became convinced that I am the BEST THING EVER! He still greats family rapturously and loves other dogs but has learned not to pester strangers and that not all dogs love him. Mostly though his rough edges have smoothed off and he’s become a more relaxed version of himself!

RedHelenB Tue 11-Jun-19 21:02:06

My dog still.thinks hes a cat and loves to be on my lap just as he did as a pup. He still is enthusiastic meeting other dogs and people but can now accept they dont always want to greet him And he sniffs a whole lot more on walks!

Advertisement

Flibbertyjibbit Tue 11-Jun-19 21:28:05

Watching with interest. I have a very cuddly but crazy 7 month old pup. Hoping she starts chilling out in the next few months 🤞

curiositycreature Wed 12-Jun-19 08:47:32

When did he start chilling out?

We got him at 8 weeks at the end of May. Had a turning point late Nov/early Dec... we went out for a Christmas do and didn’t get back until very late. Felt guilty saying a quick hello so in our shattered and tipsy state we let him sleep on our bed. Was amazed that he slept right though and he was even quite peaceful in the morning. I’d say that was the start of us noticing he was more chilled. We got him done ✂️ mid Jan and it calmed him down a lot. And then it probably took another three or four months to get his recall up to scratch to consider him “calm” when we were out walking.

May depend on your breed though. I’ve had cockers, springers and this one is a cavalier. The main difference is that if I didn’t entertain the springers, they’d find entertainment themselves. For them, entertainment = mischief generally. The cocker wouldn’t just sit down and chill if I wasn’t entertaining him, he would wander about. Definitely not a problem but somewhat annoying!! The cavalier will just curl up and sleep if I’m not entertaining him (apart from about 7-9pm which appears to be some sort of hyper play time!). But I’d say all three breeds could be forced into a cuddle on the sofa, if I offer that sort of companionship then it’s always been gratefully received! (i.e. “yay she wants to give me a cuddle!” not “she’s giving me attention, I must try and fight her!”)

What breeds are you all dealing with?

Yokohamajojo Wed 12-Jun-19 08:49:45

Mine has now finally chilled out and is 2.5 yo, can now have him off lead without him running up to all and sundry. Has also stopped jumping up at us as much, he will still do it when overly excited eg if we have been out for a while. He is still very loving and loves his cuddles.

bluetongue Wed 12-Jun-19 09:38:23

Mine is 2 years, 3months. To be honest I’m still waiting for him to grow up.

The main difference is his separation anxiety has really improved since he’s got older.

Booboostwo Wed 12-Jun-19 09:49:08

Most dogs go through distinct phases. There is the puppyhood until about 9mo and just as you think you have sorted that out they hit adolescence 9mo until 18mo, at 2yo many dogs become a lot more settled, by 6-8yo depending on size they change again and like more quiet time.

Giggorata Wed 12-Jun-19 10:43:39

My older lab was a dynamite nightmare when she was a pup (working stock) and her adolescence was hilarious, with lots of trying it on and huffing and sulking when she didn’t get her own way.
She has matured into a mostly calm and loving dog, with a few eccentricities, like singing. She does shout and swear at people who have the temerity to walk past the gate, and goes wild with joy on shooting days. She was an excellent mother to her litter of nine pups.

The pup we kept was a slightly calmer proposition but, as an adolescent, used to knock over her water bucket on purpose whenever told off; and to this day, tries to smuggle bits of bark from the woodpile into the house. She is stand offish to non family and tends to stay closer on walks, and is more quick to do as she is told than her mother.

pigsDOfly Wed 12-Jun-19 15:59:12

My dog was very independent when she was young, in fact has been for most of her life up until the last few years - she's 8 years old now.

She's always loved people though, so always greeted everyone as if they're her long lost brother/sister, although, she isn't and never has been a cuddler. She'll sit near me but usually moves after a while. I also think that's party because she has a double coat and doesn't like to get over hot.

Never been much interested in other dogs. Had one or two friends over the years but very selective.

What I have noticed though, is now she's getting to be a senior she's become such a lovely calm animal and just a pleasure; although, she still does zoomies round the living room sometimes when we get home from a walk.

We seem to bond more and more as time goes on and understand each other better and better. I'm hoping we'll both grow very old together.

I don't really understand the whole preference many people have for puppies. Yes, puppies are cute but an older dog has character and there's a wealth of experience in that grey muzzle and those wise eyes.

Give me a well trained older dog any day over a puppy.

GatsbyWasntGreat Wed 12-Jun-19 16:12:38

Give me a well trained older dog any day over a puppy

Oh, at the moment I couldn't agree more and I'd happily swap...

pigsDOfly Wed 12-Jun-19 19:33:07

Don't get me wrong GatsbyWasntGreat I did enjoy the mad puppy stage, but I think as you grow to know your dog and they mature you build something special with them and it's lovely.

And it's been years since I've had to ask her not to embarrass me as we've started out on a walk grin

GatsbyWasntGreat Wed 12-Jun-19 19:54:38

That gives me so much hope!

grin

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in