Bitch in heat plus male neutered dog

(5 Posts)
NewYoiker Thu 06-Jun-19 08:41:07

Hello smile we have a 7 month old border terrier who is in her first season, and a rather confused elderly mongrel who was castrated the second he cocked his leg.. (don't ask it's caused all sorts of issues)!

She's currently in the clingy non bleeding stage but previously before she came in to season was very interested in having him near her, and if he lay on the floor she tried to put her bum on his face (lovely)

He's so confused by this, but not aggressive at all. Do we need to separate them? I must also add in the 10 years we've had him (rescued from family member) he's never shown any interest in a female at all ever, and has never had an erection ( got his lipstick out) the other dog the family member owns was castrated at the same time but he's a randy bugger!

Second question. We take her to day care whilst I'm at work and they said they're happy to have her there as they can keep the females in together and males separate. Would you trust them to do it right? Would you keep her in or send her?

OP’s posts: |
SlothMama Thu 06-Jun-19 10:12:47

The neutered dog should be okay as long as there continues to be no aggression. With the daycare do they allow entire males? If they do I'd probably keep her home, it only takes an escapee to end up with an unwanted litter.

GrumpyMiddleAgedWoman Thu 06-Jun-19 17:04:05

The neutered dog should be fine. I've no experience of day care so can't advise there.

Whitney168 Thu 06-Jun-19 17:08:03

Although it seems unlikely that your dog will from your description, do bear in mind that neutered males are still capable of mating and don't leave them unsupervised - some males will turn a blind eye until the time is right. Obviously he wouldn't get her in whelp, but there would be the possibility of injury if unsupervised.

I definitely wouldn't take a bitch in season to day care (and to be honest I'm surprised they'd accept her and expect to let her run with other bitches, tempers can flare at the time of seasons).

NewYoiker Thu 06-Jun-19 18:00:04

Yeah they've said they can't take her. It's going to be a long long 4 weeks!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in