Suspected broken Elbow

(11 Posts)
yetwig Wed 29-May-19 05:46:44

My 12 yr old rescue Saluki cross jumped the stair gate and has landed funny, made bloody curdling screams 😒 saw the vet at 2am this morning thinks she's broken her elbow 😒 They have given her very strong pain killers and I have her home on the sofa. She will need an X ray to see what's going on and if it's broken to see an orthopedic surgeon. We just don't have £2000 plus to get it fixed if it is that 😒 she's fit and healthy and doesn't act 12. What do I do!!

OP’s posts: |
BiteyShark Wed 29-May-19 06:39:31

Can you borrow from any family? Ask your vets if they do payment plans? How long did you rescue her and if it's a reputable rescue can you ask if they have any funds for vet fees?

Nesssie Wed 29-May-19 10:53:38

First you need to ask the vet the risks of a procedure on an elderly dog. What is the predicted recovery time?

Going back to the rescue is a good idea.
If you are on benefits or low income then the RSPCA may be able to help with low cost treatment.
Ask about a payment plan, how much can you afford per month?
Assuming you don't have insurance?

Floralnomad Wed 29-May-19 10:54:34

Ask them if there is a cheaper option or a payment plan , is she not insured ?

Nesssie Wed 29-May-19 10:56:09

Depending on the break, an amputation is usually cheaper and quicker recovery time than fixing the leg.

adaline Wed 29-May-19 11:42:33

Why is she not insured?

Not all vets will take a payment plan - presumably due to the amount of people who default and don't pay, leaving them out of pocket.

Could you get access to a credit card?

yetwig Fri 31-May-19 05:28:45

Sadly had to have her put to sleep 😭 it wasn't her elbow but he wrist joint, it fractured because of a bone growth so it was decided by myself and the vet in her best interest.

OP’s posts: |

Advertisement

Floralnomad Fri 31-May-19 08:42:38

Sorry for your loss πŸ’

BiteyShark Fri 31-May-19 08:45:00

So sorry thanks

Veterinari Fri 31-May-19 08:47:52

Take care @yetwig
It sounds like she might have had an underlying osteosarcoma which caused the fracture when she landed.
It will be a horrible shock for you but it’s the kindest thing for her flowers

Nesssie Fri 31-May-19 14:51:34

Sorry to hear that yetwig but it sounds as though she's had a lovely 12 years with you flowers

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in