What would you do?

(4 Posts)
Samcj02 Wed 22-May-19 14:09:57

Hi,
So my dog has what I think are severe allergies, we are constantly at the vets with him, he’s almost 7.
He was on steroids..they were great until they stopped working. The vet then prescribed apoquel which was amazing his skin cleared up and his fir grew back everywhere he was like a new dog again! Now all of a sudden he’s gone down hill again, scratching and licking, biting his fur out he now has bold patches, I’ll add he’s still on apoquel I just don’t understand how this has happened as he was doing so well. Alongside this.. he struggles on a walk now he gets towards the end of the road where he then has to stop and sit down. He has also started to growl and snarl at my children, my youngest is only 18 months. It’s sometimes for no reason such as a child just standing next to him, no touching or anything..my partner has said may be it will be kinder to PTS. He’s obviously still a youngish dog but he acts so old it’s like he has no life left in him. It’s so sad to see. We are back to the vets Friday, was just wandering if anybody could offer any advice in the meantime. Thanks. X

OP’s posts: |
BiteyShark Wed 22-May-19 16:18:47

Sounds like there might be something else going on with the sitting down and growling. I would be thinking that he is in pain which could be anything.

Personally I think 7 is very young to be thinking of PTS without investigations.

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Wed 22-May-19 17:34:48

I, too, would be wondering if a new health complaint has emerged in addition to the allergies.

I wouldn't be putting a dog of 7 down until there had been investigations and the reasonable options had been explored.

Samcj02 Wed 22-May-19 19:25:44

Thanks everyone putting to sleep is definitely last resort, I will mention new symptoms to the vet on Friday and see what she suggests.x

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in