Suspicious lump on dog's leg any ideas?

(2 Posts)
Dottierichardson Fri 17-May-19 15:45:32

Does anyone know about lumps on dogs? My 11-year-old dog has a lump, the size is equivalent to having half a ping-pong ball sticking out of her leg, at the side below her flank. I thought it would turn out to be a lipoma but after her coat was shaved to expose it, find that it has a slight black discolouration and the skin is slightly scaly. It doesn’t bother her, she’s not worrying at it, and it doesn’t seem to cause her pain if it’s touched or palpated. The vet did a needle biopsy, results next week, but freaking out because last week was the anniversary of my older dog’s death and worried that my remaining dog may now have some form of cancer. Everything I’ve found on Google sounds potentially fatal, anyone know of something similar that turned out to be benign? Probably sounds over anxious but a lot of bad things have happened in the last year so want to be prepared for the worst. If it is cancer given her age, palliative care seems the best option, so also want to have time to think and not have something sprung on us. Our last dog deteriorated very quickly and still second-guessing our decisions about his treatment.

OP’s posts: |
OverFedStanley Fri 17-May-19 17:32:36

I am no vet but do not jump to the cancer diagnosis , my oldie has a lump on his chest and the vet told me at the time that less than half of all lumps found will be cancerous. So stop worrying until you know smile

My guy has a lipoma (my phone wants to change this to diploma - he would be proud to have a diploma smile) which we are leaving alone and he is fine.

I hope everything turns out ok for you too

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in