House sitter whilst on holiday - dog routine

(11 Posts)
Pringle89 Fri 17-May-19 08:48:15

Hi! We are going away for ten nights in August and my sister in law is going to house sit.

She’s taken the time off work so will be here more or less all of the time, however she’s pretty much nocturnal! She stays up till 4am then sleeps until the afternoon - I’m worried how the dog will cope and if he will also be nocturnal when we get back! I’m hoping that he sticks to his own schedule so she has to adjust - he wakes up at 6am so not sure how it’s going to work! I did look at home boarders and kennels but nothing suitable available so this is our only option.

Anyone have any experience of this, will it be a ball ache to get him back into a normal routine when we are home??? X

OP’s posts: |
fleshmarketclose Fri 17-May-19 08:52:24

I suspect the dog will impose his routine on your SIL tbh. There are no lie ins at this house, Bella gets up before seven each day and makes her presence felt. Likewise she goes to bed at 8pm every day and is decidedly pissed off if anything disturbs her. Suspect SIL will soon bow to pressure for a quiet life.

FriarTuck Fri 17-May-19 08:54:20

Your sister will get 2 hours of sleep a day. Your dog will keep his normal routine!

Pringle89 Fri 17-May-19 08:54:35

That’s what I’m hoping!! He never gets up past 6 so I think she may end up giving in and going to bed at a normal time!!!

stayathomegardener Fri 17-May-19 08:56:07

I would suggest you pay an early morning dog walker for everyone's sanity.
Otherwise she won't get up, dog will be in distress then have an accident and be more distressed. The clear up won't be nice and this on repeat even for a few days until the dogs routine changes will be unpleasant.

stayathomegardener Fri 17-May-19 08:58:23

In fact as a dog walker and home sitter myself I would say she is completely unsuitable for the job.

Pringle89 Fri 17-May-19 09:00:31

@FriarTuck that’s what I’m hoping 😂

Advertisement

Pringle89 Fri 17-May-19 09:01:01

@FriarTuck that’s what I’m hoping 😂

Pringle89 Fri 17-May-19 09:10:42

@stayathomegardener I appreciate its not ideal however I don’t think he would cope well in kennels so this is the best alternative. He’s leant have a walk until after lunch as he wakes at 6 has a wee in the garden, breakfast and then pretty much sleeps all morning.

He’s very vocal so will definitely let her know if he needs to get up for a wee!

Pringle89 Fri 17-May-19 09:11:13

That should say ‘doesn’t’ have a walk till the afternoon not learnt’

stucknoue Fri 17-May-19 09:19:51

Dogs adapt - my dd is nocturnal when we are away and she walks the dog at 3am then goes to bed. He soon adapts back to 10pm walks and 8am breakfast on our return. They take their cue from you

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in