Talk

Advanced search

Advice for 6 month old puppy

(30 Posts)
TodayIs Thu 16-May-19 18:45:32

We are half way through adopting a puppy. She's 6 months, a Lurcher, very strong already. She's lovely but crazy. So much energy. So much that I'm considering not adopting her (in the hope she'd be homed elsewhere more experienced).

She has zero impulse control, pulls so hard she chokes, and has no manners yet at all. She pulls hard to every person and dog she sees and will jump (continually bouncing) to lick faces. Is this normal puppy behaviour?

I have lots of experience with dogs but only with adult dogs. Never had a puppy before and I'm scared I'm out of my depth! I want the best for her.

Essentially, are all these things trainable with a Lurcher? (Greyhound x Saluki?) It's essential that she'll be (eventually) good off lead.

I've found puppy classes starting in July, but any tips/advice MUCH appreciated...

BiteyShark Fri 17-May-19 07:07:05

* Question for those experienced owners - how long does the crazy stage last in a puppy?*

My puppy was a pain in the arse until around the age of 1year when he started to grow up. We still had odd moments but it was the exception rather than the norm.

8-9 months of age was hell on earth.

adaline Fri 17-May-19 07:38:44

The length of the puppy stage massively depends on the size of the dog too. Plus it sounds like this one hasn't had much training so it could be even longer again - sorry!

TodayIs Fri 17-May-19 07:56:38

She's had zero training, but is maximum size, strength, speed and madness!

confused

BiteyShark Fri 17-May-19 07:59:56

Yes at 6 months my puppy was his adult size without the maturity.

TodayIs Fri 17-May-19 08:23:16

I'm wondering if she might be full greyhound. The rescue weren't sure. I'll start a new thread with pics, see what you think?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »